Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Strange networking problem... dont even know where to start

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-26-06, 03:17 PM

I like to think that I am pretty savvy with computers and what not but I am having a problem and do not even know where to begin.

OS is Windows XP Pro SP2

My brother calls me and says that he can not get on the internet. He said that whenever he clicks on internet explorer he gets a blank screen and in the status bar it says "opening page (whatever)" and stays like that forever. The windows flag continues to move and the progress bar stays at about half.

To me it sounded like, and is reasonable, that he had accidentally unplugged a network card or whatever.

So when I stopped by it was exactally as described above but strange in that I can still connect to the internet using the wireless network that he has installed for when I bring my laptop over. Absolutely no problems with wireless through the Linksys router and his desktop is connected through the wired portion.

Here is where it gets really strange. Occasionally I can connect to his set hompepage (google) but once you try to navigate away from that all you get is a blank white page as above. You can go to other sites as well, OCCASIONALLY, but then when you navigate away the same goes.

I can ping the router and other computers and websites (4/4)

I have tried unplugging the router with the same results.

Virus protection with Avast! and no spyware or whatnot confirmed with adware.

I was thinking it was the onboard network card he has. As this is the only variable that I can not switch out at the time.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

-just before submitting I tried it again and was able to go to like 7 different web sites all within a span of about 1 minute then it stooped again. ARGH!!
Old 12-26-06, 03:22 PM
X
Administrator

Sounds like DNS isn't working properly. Check that he's getting a working DNS server in his network settings.
Old 12-26-06, 03:29 PM

Wow, thanks for the quick reply. So here is what I did, command prompt then ipcoinfig /all

Windows Ip Configuration:
The primary Dns SUffix is blank
Node type unknown
Ip routing enabled no
WINS Proxy enabled no

Ethernet adapter LAN:
All the values are there as I would expect, then down where it says
DNS Servers: 74.134.1.180, 74.134.1.181

Hmmm. Is this interesting? I have not had much experience with the whole DNS thing. Ill do some reading. Any suggestions at this point?
Old 12-26-06, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Make sure he's not using a crossover cable. They look just like regular ethernet cables, but work differently. I accidently got my cables swapped around one time and had my computer hooked up with a crossover cable and had results similar to what you are describing.
Old 12-26-06, 03:39 PM
X
Administrator

I tried out the DNS servers and they are working ok.
Old 12-26-06, 03:45 PM

Okay, so I found this website to check if a DNS server is working and by going to network connections I was able to find that the DNS is obtained automatically. I tried switching things around and had no luck. Right now Im back onto obtain automatically.

Thanks for the input on the cable situation. Im pretty sure that it is not a crossover cable. The thing is that it was working for about a month without a problem but I may have missed it had you not pointed it out.