Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Hey! That cool, young, hip guy in the Mac commercials is collecting a pension!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-22-06, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

I saw this on another forum and found it kinda funny

Hey, Gramps, Can I Borrow Your Mac?

A new study shows that nearly half of Apple's users are 55 and older. What are younger buyers going for? Gateway.

By Sharon Gaudin
InformationWeek

Dec 1, 2006 11:00 AM

Apple's commercials like to portray its users as young and hip. But a new study is offering some contrary information.

When it comes to home computers, nearly half (46%) of Apple's U.S. user base is 55 or older. That's compared with only 25.2% of home PC users who are in that age category, reports MetaFacts Inc., a national market research firm.

So, what computers are the digitally savvy youth buying? Gateway.

"Apple can claim long-time loyalists, but its future among the young technoliterati is an interesting dynamic," said Dan Ness, a principal at MetaFacts. "Gateway has the lead among the 18-24 year olds, with a higher-than-average share of U.S. home's primary PC users falling into this age group."

When it comes to mobility, however, Apple users are definitely the ones on the move.

The MetaFacts study shows that in Apple households, 52% of personal computers are notebooks. In HP households, just under one in six (16.1%) are notebook computers, while 46.1% of Dell PCs at home are notebooks. Dell, though, continues to lead in sheer numbers with just more than 24 million if its notebooks in U.S. households. That's a 46.1% share of the home notebook PC market.

Laptops are often the computer of choice for home users, according to the study entitled "2006 Home PC brand Profile". Nearly 52 million notebooks are reportedly listed as the home's primary computer. These 51.8 million laptops account for 30.2% of the primary home computers in the U.S.

The study also shows that almost half of U.S. homes have newer computer models, whether desktop or laptop, with 49.3% purchased since 2004. More than two-thirds of Apple and half of Dell and HP primary home computers are less than two and a half years old.

"A substantial number of home computers are considered new enough that it's likely to cause resistance for home consumers to replace their PCs," said Ness. "This will have implications for releases of new applications and operating systems like Microsoft Vista."

http://www.informationweek.com/news/...80&subSection=
Old 12-23-06, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm a Mac user. It's just...cooler? I'm 25. My other buddy is a Mac fanatic, he's also 25. I've never known anyone older than 55 that has a Mac (let alone a computer at all).

I have an iPod too.

= J
Old 12-24-06, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

2 of the 3 people I know that own Mac's are under 55. Mention this again in 10 years, and those 2 people will be 55 as well.
Old 12-24-06, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

no wonder they cost so much, and the Apple stores are always in expensive areas
Old 12-24-06, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Gateway...?
Old 12-24-06, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't know anyone who buys Gateway

These days, its all Dell or Apple.
Old 12-24-06, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

circuit city and other stores are always having some special where you can get a gateway or emachines dirt cheap. gateway and emachines are the same company now
Old 12-24-06, 01:53 PM

IMO, Apple and Dell are too expensive. I don't know why either has any "luster" to their brands.

I would not consider buying either an eMachine or a Gateway.

So, what's that leave? I bought an HP without hesitation. Compaq is still out there on the shelf, but that's with HP now, right?

Not really many choices out there, is there?

P.S. My father is 61 and on his third PC. I'm 35 and on my third PC, too!
Old 12-24-06, 02:37 PM

I thought I heard somewhere(think it was TWIT) that Apple was going to get rid of the "Mac Guy vs Pc Guy" commercials because people didn't like what an asshole the mac guy is, but yet I continue to see more Mac Commercials including a Christmas one. Did they film them before hand, or was that just a rumor?
Old 12-24-06, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Michael Ballack
I thought I heard somewhere(think it was TWIT) that Apple was going to get rid of the "Mac Guy vs Pc Guy" commercials because people didn't like what an asshole the mac guy is, but yet I continue to see more Mac Commercials including a Christmas one. Did they film them before hand, or was that just a rumor?
Well, I agree. Sorry, I'm not going to make my computer purchasing decisions based on some goateed artiste elitist freak, and those commercials do bug me. I'm definitely more PC-guy.
On the other hand, even though I don't watch much TV, I know those commercials, so they're working in one way.
Old 12-24-06, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by dtcarson
Well, I agree. Sorry, I'm not going to make my computer purchasing decisions based on some goateed artiste elitist freak, and those commercials do bug me. I'm definitely more PC-guy.
On the other hand, even though I don't watch much TV, I know those commercials, so they're working in one way.

Funny thing is, while I'm a pc guy, I would be willing to buy a mac in the future for video editing. However, the commercials kind of rub me the wrong way and make me hate mac people.
Old 12-24-06, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Ballack
pretty sure that was debunked as false. Someone interviewed Justin Long (mac guy) just before the holiday commercials were released and he said that as far as he knew, he was employed for the new ones.

However, I do agree. Most of the commercials make no sense. Especially the iMovie/DVD one. PC guy says he just made a DVD- mac guy says he did too and brings out a model- then PC guy brings out a guy in a dress.

WTF? Are they trying to say that PC users can't make real DVDs? Because I've made quite a few that will put iMovie ones to shame...

-jason
Old 12-24-06, 04:49 PM

Those Apple commercials might have been more in place back in the 80s. PCs today are absolutely not "stodgy" like Apple is trying to make them out to be.
Old 12-24-06, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That rumor was debunked but a lot of what they said on TWIT was true, mainly that the PC guy is much more likable in the commercials. The result is that the commercial seems more likely to reaffirm existing mac buyer's decision than lure people over to macs.

@fuzzbox, I generally like the commercials but that model spot was the one that really annoyed me too. It has just about as much basis in reality as several of the other spots, so it wasn't that which annoyed me. It was just completely unoriginal.
Old 12-24-06, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the commercials are hilarious.

Maybe I'm the only one.

= J
Old 12-24-06, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Tarantino
I think the commercials are hilarious.

Maybe I'm the only one.

= J
They were funny at first, but at a certain point I wanted to see the Mac Guy get raped and shot. Is that wrong?
Old 12-25-06, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Tarantino
I'm a Mac user. It's just...cooler? I'm 25. My other buddy is a Mac fanatic, he's also 25. I've never known anyone older than 55 that has a Mac (let alone a computer at all).

I have an iPod too.

= J
Interesting theory. So you're saying aspirational goals of coolness among trend followers with limited life experience (you know no one over 55 with a computer!) are their target audience?

p.s. My Wife's 62 y/o Mother has an iPod.
Old 12-25-06, 01:18 PM
X
Administrator

The oldest person I know who has a computer has several Macs that he uses for his business.

There's your proof!
Old 12-25-06, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm more sick of the whole 'Apples are impervious to Viruses' crap going around.
The ads don't bug me that much cause I know how to filter the BS from the fact, but I can see how others might be annoyed.
Also, I'd like to see a Mac user make a DVD from video directly off a camcorder with their computer out of the box. Last time I tried at work Apple told my I had to spend an extra $20 on a friggen MPEG-2 codec.
Maybe they should make a commercial from that.
Old 12-26-06, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Perhaps I missed it since it wasn't bolded, but I didn't see any mention of Justin's pension collecting..
Old 12-26-06, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Out of the 30+ computer owners I know, more 75% own HP - half being laptops (including myself - of the 3 computers in our household- 1 is a home built Desktop PC, 1 HP desktop, and 1 HP laptop).

I know only one Mac owner (he also owns 2-3 PCs). I hate to say it (and I'm sure its just an ugly coincidence) but the mac owner is also the biggest geek I know.
Old 12-26-06, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
BTW, the laptop part...a vast majority of Mac are sold as notebooks because its the only thing that you can get for CLOSE to $1000
Old 12-26-06, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
BTW, the laptop part...a vast majority of Mac are sold as notebooks because its the only thing that you can get for CLOSE to $1000
Never heard of the iMac or the Mac mini have you?
Old 12-26-06, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kevin M. Dean
Never heard of the iMac or the Mac mini have you?

I forgot about the 512MB 1.80Ghz shared graphics non-expandable computer for a grand!

Old 12-26-06, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez

I forgot about the 512MB 1.80Ghz shared graphics non-expandable computer for a grand!

So, the laptops you mentioned are any more expandable? Some people's needs differ than yours.... or do you just exist to stir things up.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.