Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Can't open hyperlinks...help please!

Old 12-18-06, 05:33 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Can't open hyperlinks...help please!

So I was having some pc problems with my Macromedia Player. I removied all of it. Now, I cannot go to a site that has hyperlinks, click on it and have it open. It looks like it will open, but the page never comes up. I hope you know what I am talking about.

What the hell did I do and how can I fix it????? Please help!!
Old 12-19-06, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What version of IE do you run? IE7 now has the annoying habit of blocking all types of popups, you need to hold the control key when you click on the link.
Old 12-19-06, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
What version of IE do you run? IE7 now has the annoying habit of blocking all types of popups, you need to hold the control key when you click on the link.
It's still IE6. Any thouhts?
I was having trouble with Macromedia Flash Player and I deleted that along with some other Flash things. The problem seemed to start after that.
Please help!!! Thanks in advance.
Old 12-19-06, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

well could be the old url thing copy this into notepad name it urlfix.reg copy this into the notpad then paste.then double click the file adding it to the registry. Copy from the W in windows down

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_HTTP_USERNAME_PASSWORD_DISABLE]
"iexplore.exe"=dword:00000000
"explorer.exe"=dword:00000000
Old 12-20-06, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by scott1598
It's still IE6. Any thouhts?
I was having trouble with Macromedia Flash Player and I deleted that along with some other Flash things. The problem seemed to start after that.
Please help!!! Thanks in advance.
Well I have a hard time seeing how Macromedia flash would affect all hyperlinks.

Have you tried to repair your Windows installation? Have you tried to repair your IE installation? Have you tried to reinstall Macromedia?
Old 12-20-06, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sounds like Macromedia crapped up your IE. You may want to give IE7 a shot. Installing that should fix the link problem and if you don't like it you can uninstall and it will re-install a fresh copy of IE6 in the process.
Old 12-20-06, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by matome
Sounds like Macromedia crapped up your IE. You may want to give IE7 a shot. Installing that should fix the link problem and if you don't like it you can uninstall and it will re-install a fresh copy of IE6 in the process.
but as Brian said doesn't IE7 require you to hit Ctrl when you want to open a link? i don't want to do that.
Old 12-20-06, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
Have you tried to repair your Windows installation? Have you tried to repair your IE installation? Have you tried to reinstall Macromedia?
how do i repair Windows? i tried running IE repair something or other and it said it can't.
Old 12-20-06, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did you do what I told you, and no you dont have to hold control to open a link in IE7. Maybe if you set it that way on the highest security settings and tell it not to allow them, but not by default.

I had the same problem and there was some bug in IE6 that prevents links from opening what I told you to do is the fix for it.....
Old 12-21-06, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by hdtv00
well could be the old url thing copy this into notepad name it urlfix.reg copy this into the notpad then paste.then double click the file adding it to the registry. Copy from the W in windows down

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_HTTP_USERNAME_PASSWORD_DISABLE]
i really don't understand what you are asking me to do. maybe you could put it in a nice little list?
Old 12-21-06, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1. open notepad
2. paste this into it

3. save the file name it urlfix
4. when saved to desktop or wherever right click it rename it urlfix.reg
5. double click it
6 when popup says add to registry are you sure hit ok
7 problem solved....