Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Need new wirelsss router - recommendations?

Old 12-18-06, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Need new wirelsss router - recommendations?

My Linksys wireless-G broadband router went out today and I need a quick replacement. Recommendations for power/distance as well as quality? I have had great luck with Linksys but I haven't done any research until this morning.

Also looking at Netgear & D-Link. Prices seem all over the place as well as ratings.

*** New question. Lynksys Wireless-N. Is that backwards compatible? Will wireless-G cards work with this?

Last edited by kayak99; 12-18-06 at 11:22 AM.
Old 12-18-06, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

they had a dlink on sale at communist USA last week

get a dlink or a netgear, they all use linux i believe except for linksys
Old 12-18-06, 01:16 PM
X
Administrator

We've certainly had enough threads about them. Try a search.
Old 12-18-06, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by X
We've certainly had enough threads about them. Try a search.
I tried that, thanks. Saw more issues relating to problems and less addressing these specific questions. Nothing on Linksys wireless-N. (I didn't read the older posts though)

al_bundy, why linux?
Old 12-18-06, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

unless you have a new MIMO or whatever wireless card, just get a router that matches with the speed of your card since it's probably at least 10 times faster than your broadband anyway
Old 12-18-06, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by al_bundy
unless you have a new MIMO or whatever wireless card, just get a router that matches with the speed of your card since it's probably at least 10 times faster than your broadband anyway
I was considering getting a new card for at least one laptop. (We have three laptops with the G cards.)
Old 12-18-06, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i wouldn't bother since most laptops have 4200rmp hard drives and even if you transfer files between them having a 108mbps network versus 54mbps may not do much

what you want to look for is a router/switch that has good quality ports that keep collisions to a minimum. My ancient linksys router is like a daily packet traffic accident
Old 12-18-06, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Get a linksys gl or gs and flash it with dd-wrt firmware. You can bump the transmit power, configure QoS, and lots of good stuff.
Old 12-18-06, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

what you want to look for is a router/switch that has good quality ports that keep collisions to a minimum. My ancient linksys router is like a daily packet traffic accident
What would you have in mind? Any opinion on the Linksys WRT54GS Wireless-G with the "speed booster"? Wandering around Radio Shack this afternoon I noticed they were on sale. I'm guess I would also have to replace my G card with the speedbooster card to get an increase.

Range is my biggest issue. (That's why I was leaning towards the N rather than G.)

Originally Posted by drmoze
Get a linksys gl or gs and flash it with dd-wrt firmware. You can bump the transmit power, configure QoS, and lots of good stuff.
Thanks. I was looking at the dd-wrt.com site. Overclocking myself always scared me a little.
Old 12-18-06, 08:49 PM

I've had the D-Link Rangeboooster N Router (DIR-625) for about 3 months now along with the D-Link Rangebooster N Desktop Adapter (DWA-542) for my desktop and it's been nothing but outstanding.

The router is located in a back bedroom on the ground floor of the house and I've had no problems getting and maintaining a signal anywhere downstairs or upstairs in the entire house. My desktop, which I use most often, is located upstairs in the room that is furthest away from where the router is. I continually have a "Good" connection and incredible download speeds. Wireless-g cards do work with this router, as do wireless-b. I also use a year-old Averatec laptop that has built-in 802.11g and my sister uses a Dell laptop that also has 802.11g wireless and both have get an outstanding steady connection anywhere in the house as well.

Keep in mind that the wireless-n technology is only at a draft stage right now and not at final specs. In the documentation that came with my router (and card), it says that this draft version of the technology should be compatible with the final version that comes out, but it's not guaranteed. But the current router and card work great together. And even if you aren't using the wireless-n just yet, it's still a great wireless-g router.
Old 12-18-06, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i think the website is www.linksysinfo.com

i was going to get a new router a little while back and from what i read the new linksys models don't use linux anymore, but something else and people said there are problems. Cisco didn't like having to release their source code to the public

as far as which one has a good switch, no idea. not even sure if any consumer models have decent switching. but that is probably the one thing
Old 12-18-06, 09:39 PM

i was going to get a new router a little while back and from what i read the new linksys models don't use linux anymore, but something else and people said there are problems.
The new revisions run an embedded OS called VxWorks; it has a smaller footprint than the Linux distro they cooked up, so they were able to cut costs on the hardware. But you can still buy the Linux models at a slightly higher price -- look for WRT54GL.

Cisco didn't like having to release their source code to the public
VxWorks is a proprietary OS, and Cisco wouldn't be able to legally give out the source code to it even if they wanted to.
Old 12-19-06, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bjh_18

And even if you aren't using the wireless-n just yet, it's still a great wireless-g router.

That's a great review. I did consider D-Link because I like Belkins products but I read one review, on Amazon I think, that showed the DWA-542 was locking up someones Dell. I guess none of these is perfect.

Still considering the Linksys N (the site Al_Bundy recommended is unavailable at the moment and I want to read it). Based on your experience, these new N's with the greater range improve the range for the G's as well, correct? (i.e. N router, G cards)
Old 12-19-06, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by kayak99
That's a great review. I did consider D-Link because I like Belkins products but I read one review, on Amazon I think, that showed the DWA-542 was locking up someones Dell. I guess none of these is perfect.
Yeah, that review about the Dell locking up is on Amazon, and it actually did it to my Vaio when I first installed it as well. That's the wireless card, not the router. But a quick search on the internet revealed that an updated driver from Linksys (because it has the same chipset as the Linksys and D-Link hadn't addressed the problem yet) would fix it, and it did. I haven't had any problems since installing the updated driver. There are no lock up problems of any sort that any of the computers in the house have experienced because of the router.

Originally Posted by kayak99
Still considering the Linksys N (the site Al_Bundy recommended is unavailable at the moment and I want to read it). Based on your experience, these new N's with the greater range improve the range for the G's as well, correct? (i.e. N router, G cards)
Yes, with my wireless-n router I've had greater range with the wireless-g computers that we have. I've actually been able to take my wireless-g laptop outside about 50 feet away from the house through a bunch of trees and still had a working connection.
Old 12-19-06, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GHackmann
The new revisions run an embedded OS called VxWorks; it has a smaller footprint than the Linux distro they cooked up, so they were able to cut costs on the hardware. But you can still buy the Linux models at a slightly higher price -- look for WRT54GL.

VxWorks is a proprietary OS, and Cisco wouldn't be able to legally give out the source code to it even if they wanted to.
Reason they went with VxWorks was because they first used Linux to save money. Then they got sued by the FSF and had to release the source code. They didn't like it.