Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

How to move an LCD monitor?

Old 12-14-06, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

How to move an LCD monitor?

I have a 24" widescreen monitor that I need to move to a new apartment. What's the best way to do this so that it will be protected? I was thinking of wrapping it in a towel and having someone hold on to it on the drive over. Good idea or bad?
Old 12-14-06, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

do you have a brick tied to it?
Old 12-14-06, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe it's being anal rententive, but I always keep the original boxes and packing materials for stuff like this. It takes up storage space, but I'll tell you, when I moved recently, it was so easy packing up all my computer and electronics stuff, and I knew that they would be safe during transport.
Old 12-14-06, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cultshock
Maybe it's being anal rententive, but I always keep the original boxes and packing materials for stuff like this. It takes up storage space, but I'll tell you, when I moved recently, it was so easy packing up all my computer and electronics stuff, and I knew that they would be safe during transport.
Yeah, I try to, but New York apartment living really limits what you can keep around.
Old 12-14-06, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

unless it's raining just carry it over to the new place, not a big deal since no moving parts
Old 12-14-06, 09:11 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
I have a 24" widescreen monitor that I need to move to a new apartment. What's the best way to do this so that it will be protected? I was thinking of wrapping it in a towel and having someone hold on to it on the drive over. Good idea or bad?

You might consider a healthy dose of bubble wrap instead of a towel.
Old 12-14-06, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I try to, but New York apartment living really limits what you can keep around.
Yeah, of course, I understand how space would be at a premium in a case like that. I have to remember that not everyone has a big shed in the backyard to store crap in.
Old 12-14-06, 11:08 PM

Get a cardboard box from walmart. Place a towel inside the box, apply lots of bubble wrap on the monitor then another towel on top. This is how I would do it. LCD monitors scare me.
Old 12-14-06, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would just throw it real hard and then run real fast to the new apartment and catch it. If the new place is far away you might need to make two or more tosses.
Old 12-14-06, 11:38 PM

For some reason I'm thinking of how my PC's LCD monitor was packaged.

Along those lines, just get some paper and cover the screen, securing it with tape on the sides. That way the screen will be covered and protected a bit. Then just lay it flat in the back seat of a car or something.
Old 12-15-06, 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by Dead
You might consider a healthy dose of bubble wrap instead of a towel.
2nd that. Bubble wrap will provide a much better cushion than a towel. I took two 15" lcds to Italy and back in checked luggage and they came through fine. Take the monitor off it's stand and completely wrap the thing in a few layers of bubble wrap. You definitely won't have to worry about it then and it can be carried more easily w/o the stand on it.
Old 12-15-06, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Teca
Get a cardboard box from walmart. Place a towel inside the box, apply lots of bubble wrap on the monitor then another towel on top. This is how I would do it. LCD monitors scare me.
closest wal mart is like 30 miles away
Old 12-15-06, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ooh, bubble wrap. That's a great suggestion.

Someone is going to be holding onto it in the truck (I am NOT putting it in the back) so I'm really only worried about protecting the screen.
Old 12-15-06, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Whenever I move a monitor or TV I cover the screen with a clean towel and a sheet of cardboard, secured with masking tape. Never had any damage.
Old 12-16-06, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Ooh, bubble wrap. That's a great suggestion.

Someone is going to be holding onto it in the truck (I am NOT putting it in the back) so I'm really only worried about protecting the screen.
Unless you're going down a really bumpy road, i really don't see too much reason to be worried if someone is holding it. Unless that person is really clumsy and shakes and bumps into things.

I've moved my LCD monitor around in my car often for small things like LANs without much worry just placing it in my car and protecting the screen.