Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Will buying more memory make a difference?

Old 12-09-06, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Will buying more memory make a difference?

I have a computer with an AMD Sempron 3300+ 2.01 GHz and 256 RAM. Leaving the processor as is, is buying more memory going to help my situation? My main complaint is sluggishness and not being able to have as many things open as I would like. Here's what I usually have running:

Firefox
Yahoo Music Jukebox streaming songs
iTunes downloading podcasts
Backing up either 2 CDs or DVDs at a time (I have over 700 DVDs and 1000 CDs and I'm sick and tired of scratches, so when I buy something new I rip and store... I'd rather lose a 20 cent DVDr than a $20 DVD... I'm also creating mix CDs all the time and podcasts CDs).

So I have about 4-5 programs running at a time. I may have DVDProfiler open, and Yahoo and MSN messengers, etc.

Will buying more memory make a difference in speed? I have 160+300 gigs of space and planning to add 250 gigs more (gotta love those podcasts... I want to have a podcast-only drive).

Last edited by GatorDeb; 12-09-06 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-09-06, 11:15 AM

Upgrading to a gig or so will make a HUGE difference.
Old 12-09-06, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As Groucho said, 1GB will make a huge difference. Also, set your virtual memory minimum and maxium pagingfile size to 1500.
Old 12-09-06, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What has the biggest impact, processor or memory? Which things does a processor help more and which things does memory help more? Is that a decent processor? What I don't want is to have the processor be the limiting factor (i.e. more memory than I need because of the processor I have). Thanks!
Old 12-09-06, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Getting a PC from 256MB to 1GB will have a bigger impact than a CPU upgrade. If the PC has only 256MB, Windows will constantly swap to the virtual memory, which is really your hard drive space. Now, the hard drive performance becomes your bottleneck. No matter what CPU you get, always make sure you get more than the minimum amount of memory.
Old 12-09-06, 12:13 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Backing up either 2 CDs or DVDs at a time (I have over 700 DVDs and 1000 CDs and I'm sick and tired of scratches, so when I buy something new I rip and store... I'd rather lose a 20 cent DVDr than a $20 DVD... I'm also creating mix CDs all the time and podcasts CDs).
You have no idea that we don't discuss copying DVDs here?

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=401647
Old 12-09-06, 01:47 PM
X
Administrator

GatorDeb,

I responded to your email but the email came back with a non-delivery notification. You should make sure the email address you have on your account is still good.