Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Simple DVD question

Old 11-15-06, 05:55 PM

Simple DVD question

Im sure this is an easy question for someone who knows a little bit about DVDs. I have some .wmv format videos. I want to burn them onto a DVD so I can play them on a DVD player, connected to the TV. First I would like to know what type of DVD I should buy. Second, is the .wmv format OK to play on a DVD? And lastly using Roxio, Nero, or something else that is free...how do I do this? Hoepfully that's all the info you need to help. Thanks alot.
Old 11-15-06, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

you usually need to convert to mpeg2 for dvd and mpeg1 for vcds which not all dvd players can handle.

nero vision studio should be able to convert wmv to mpeg2 dvd.
Old 11-15-06, 09:24 PM

Ok thanks for the info...I'm guessing a VCD is a Video CD? What is the advantage of that over a DVD?
Old 11-15-06, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

vcd uses smaller file sizes and can be used with cds so no need for a dvd burner there but you're not able to put as much on that as with dvds.

check your dvd player to see if it can play vcds. otherwise go with dvd.
Old 11-15-06, 10:13 PM

OK...So once I decide whether or not I can use a VCD or DVD, all I need to do is convert my files and then burn them?
Old 11-15-06, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

you need to burn the converted files as a vcd or dvd, not as a regular data disc.

easiest way is with nerovision express because if you first select make dvd or vcd, it'll do the converting then will burn - that takes longer though.

nero has a trial you can try if you don't have it.

keep in mind that if the wmv is low quality, you'll see that on the tv and there's a bit more quality loss with the format conversion.

blank +/- dvd media should work fine for dvds and 80 mins cds for vcds.
Old 11-16-06, 07:46 AM

Alright I'm downloading and installing nerovision express right now. When I get back from school I'll do the rest and get back at you. I converted the the original video files from youtube and then converted them into .wmv but I choose the High quality setting and it does like good full screen on my computer.
Old 11-16-06, 04:31 PM

OK...I installed Nero 7 from their site. It looks there are a couple ways to make a DVD so which on do you recommend, b/c I don't want to make a mistake.
Old 11-16-06, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

easiest way is to go to nerovision express and go to dvd > dvd movie if you have a dvd burner.
Old 11-16-06, 05:44 PM

There is Nero Express and Nero Vision...
Old 11-16-06, 06:31 PM

Alright I'm uninstalling Nero 7 and going to try and find Nero 6 Burning Rom SE suite...I think thats the one you want my to install.
Old 11-16-06, 08:05 PM

MAN...I'm going crazy. Does Nero not show the same options if I don't have a DVD-RW drive? Because every tutorial I find with the same version I get looks different than mine. If you could please just send me links to the appropriate software I'll go to my friends house and just do it there.
Old 11-16-06, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

the dvd movie option is not going to be there if you don't have a dvd burner. I've noticed this because I have an external dvd burner for my laptop so that option only shows up if it's plugged in.

if you don't have a cd burner then you can't make vcds either so not sure where to go from that.

nero vision express should be included with the suite, maybe under the regular nerovision title. nero express should be able to do the dvd movie burn too (if you have a dvd burner).

http://ww2.nero.com/nero7/enu/nero7-demo.php
Old 11-16-06, 08:52 PM

Ohhh...OK that clears things up alot, b/c that was really getting on my nerves. I'll get ahold of my friend and tell him to do it. Thanx