Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

PC/TV HD questions

Old 11-14-06, 09:47 PM

PC/TV HD questions

Ok so I was ready and pumped to get an HDTV for Christmas but then I realized I also need a new PC. Since I cant get both, I decided on the PC bc I can get more out of it. Im settling on this Link. Im guessing the setup will be:

1. Cable to Digital Box
2. Digital Box to PC
3. PC to TV

First question; If I have an HD box, can I get HD on my PC from connection 1 to 2?

2nd question; If I have my PC connected to my TV, can I watch a program on my TV, while recording a different channel on my PC? Im basically wondering if my PC will act like a VCR in that respect

3rd question; How do PCs compare to standalone DVRs? Are they just as good or no?

Thanks in advance. I figure this will due till I can actually get an HDTV
Old 11-14-06, 10:06 PM
X
Administrator

If you go from Digital Box to PC you will be relying on the type of interface the Digital Box has. Firewire is good for the video but S-Video isn't. Composite is worse. Component video really can't be input to a PC, at least that anyone can afford.

You could also get an HDTV card for your PC that could receive HD and let you record it. Either way you can record the programs on your PC.

If you get a separate HDTV card for the PC you might be able to rig it so you could watch one program while recording another. Maybe.