Reload this Page >

A registry/installation manager for XP?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 09-17-06, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Despite taking all security measures, a trojan caused serious problems a few weeks ago and resulted in reinstallation of XP. Both Linux and OSX require a password before installing programs or updating the registry. Is there something out there that I could put on XP to give me the same functionality?

I know the suggestion would be made to just switch to either Linux or OSX, but I can't afford a Mac right now and Linux just confused me.
Old 09-17-06, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, technically speaking, you are not suppose to run XP logged in as the administrator or the administrator equivalent. Create yourself a user and make them a "user" or "power user" only, that will solve most of the registry writing problems by denying access.

You can use a util like this

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Regmon.html

to monitor what is going on in real time of you want, but it is not really what you are asking for.

I would more suggest that you use anti spware (a good one like Webroot Spysweeper or Edwido) and a respectable AV tool (like Trend Micro, Kaspersky, Norton AV only) and also use Firefox instead of IE when you are going to visit a QUESTIONABLE web site (if you don't know what I mean by that, then you are doomed).

I find that portable firefox is even better as it's limited functionality makes it so that much malicious code can't even operate and is dropped when accessing the questionable site.

I know I am not the average user, but I run windows as admin and travel to just about every stupid web site imaginable and I have never been infected by a spyware or trojan. However, I DO NOT open email from people I don't know, ever, under any circumstance. I delete more email that I read.
Old 09-17-06, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

In fact, I was running Ewido, using Trend Micro, and only use Firefox.

Unfortunately, the trojan found it's way in while I was trying newsgroups for the first time. Everything found the trojan, it just couldn't remove it.

I had thought about that non-admin route, but wasn't sure if that would work. I'll give that a shot. Thanks.
Old 09-17-06, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm afraid the non-admin route isn't going to work. TiVo Desktop doesn't run at all under the Limited user. A few other things don't run either.

So, it's back to the original question??
Old 09-17-06, 12:00 PM

In Windows 2000 and XP, you can force specific programs to run as another user. This way, you can keep your account a Limited user, and just force uncooperative programs to run as an Administrator. It's unwieldy, but it'll do what you want.

Option #2 is to download Vista RC1, which is supposed to use a OS X- and Linux-style system for managing what privileges programs are allowed to use. Unfortunately, not all programs are compatible with Vista, and you'll need to fork over the cash for an upgrade once RC1 expires.

Isn't Windows great?
Old 09-18-06, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok, all of the suggestions in this thread for Limited User seems to be working. I still could not get TiVo Desktop to run, but Galleon installed without a hitch and runs easily in the Limited User mode.

Thanks.
Old 09-18-06, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah - GHackmann's post explains how to do it. Yuo can also manually set permissions on registry keys if you have a program that is being difficult to allow the normal "user" level to make changes.

You will have to find out exactly what it is the Tivo Desktop is trying to do that it can't do and manually tweak it to work as a standard level user.

Doing it this way is more of a PIA, but it will protect you and most mainstream programs are not that hard to make work.

You may also want to google up "portable applications", these are nice for running in normal user mode.
Old 09-18-06, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"Galleon" is a user-created replacement for TiVo Desktop. It does all that TiVo Desktop does and a lot more. So, I won't have to worry about tweaking TiVo after all.
Old 09-18-06, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

One other question: is there a way to import Firefox extensions, bookmarks, settings, etc from the Admin account to the Limited user account to save a little work?
Old 09-18-06, 05:59 PM

You could use MozBackup to backup your Admin account's profile, then restore it to your Limited User's profile.
Old 09-18-06, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GHackmann
You could use MozBackup to backup your Admin account's profile, then restore it to your Limited User's profile.
That's the first thing that has actually worked without a single problem in about two weeks. Thanks.