Reload this Page >

Transferring RAM?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Transferring RAM?

Old 09-06-06, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transferring RAM?

I just recently took apart the very first computer I had, taking almost everything out. When I got to the Mainboard I took out the two sticks of RAM it had and decided to do a Google search to see if I was able to transfer the RAM in my old computer to any available spots on my new computer. Question is am I able to do this with no problems, or is it possible but other things needed or just not at all possible?
Old 09-06-06, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How old is your first computer, and how new is the one you want to transfer it to?
Old 09-06-06, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

well in terms of OS, the old one is 98 while the new one is XP. In terms of years, I'd guess that it may be around 7 yrs old
Old 09-06-06, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sorraffy
well in terms of OS, the old one is 98 while the new one is XP. In terms of years, I'd guess that it may be around 7 yrs old

Then no you can't transfer it. Most likely the 98 machine has SDRAM and the XP machine has DDR ram.

To be sure I'd go here. www.crucial.com and look up the computers. Just put the brand and model number in their search and compare the two.

Last edited by Mopower; 09-06-06 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-06-06, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There is a very high chance that your new computer uses DDR memory and your old one SIMM or DIMM...so not likely that they will be of use

(now if it Rambus...throw it on ebay)
Old 09-06-06, 05:50 PM

Thanks for asking here, rather than trying to cram it into the slot and then calling your son-in-law when sparks start coming out of the motherboard.
Old 09-07-06, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
Thanks for asking here, rather than trying to cram it into the slot and then calling your son-in-law when sparks start coming out of the motherboard.
i think if that would have happened, than i would have gone the CS way to give them a hard time. That's how you're supposed to do it right? Make the "pros" seem like they're the ones who have no idea what they are doing
:-)

Guess since they most likely wont work, i have nice decoration for .... something
Old 09-08-06, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sorraffy
Guess since they most likely wont work, i have nice decoration for .... something
You can loop ornament hangers through the holes in the corner and hang them on the Christmas tree.