Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

DVD backup issues

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

DVD backup issues

Old 09-05-06, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD backup issues

NOTE: This thread has nothing to do with burning copyright material. My question is in relation to backing up my personal data files.

I just made the switch and bought a new MacBook. My old Dell tower has run its course and needed to be replaced. So far, it's been a great transition.

However, on my Dell tower, I have 4 years of files of class work from college, personal documents, and photographs. I want to back these files up. I copied them onto an external hard drive no problem. My issues arise when I try to make a DVD copy of my files. So here are my questions...

1. When I try to drag-and-drop the files I want to copy, I get a "File System Error 16389." Essentially, it won't let me copy the desired files into my DVD drive for burning. Googling resulted in the fact that WinXP does NOT support desktop DVD burning (where it does support CD burning -- this is how I've made back up cds in the past). However, I can't do this with CDs, either, so I'm not certain this is the cause. What should I do?

2. Here's the interesting part: Nero works A-OK. I'm happy using Nero but for one big problem: it shortens just about every file name into the old 8-character standard. This is unacceptable to me -- I have no idea what is what after I burn. Any way around this?

Thanks for the help, everyone,

- Chris
Old 09-05-06, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe that is why it has a "file system error" is because the file names are too long? Nero is smart enough to change them without giving you an error. Why can't you shorten the file names?
Old 09-05-06, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mopower
Maybe that is why it has a "file system error" is because the file names are too long? Nero is smart enough to change them without giving you an error. Why can't you shorten the file names?
i tried doing the drag-and-drop with a single file from the desktop with a short name. even then, i get the same error.
Old 09-05-06, 08:09 PM

more info:

i had my DVD drive empty and drag-and-dropped a small file into the empty D: drive. it worked like it should (create a "burnable shortcut"). then i inserted a DVD and the file was automatically erased.

with a DVD disk inserted, i open the folder in windows explorer. i click on "make a new folder," i get the disk error again.

thanks!
Old 09-06-06, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Make sure you have Nero set up to allow more that 8 character file names.

Last edited by Nifty03; 09-06-06 at 09:57 AM.