New HD install help...please...

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-20-06, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I couldn't find my old thread sooo....

I finally got around to replacing my sons HD. As you remember it was full of spy ware, popups, etc. I tried cleaning, but looked like the best thing to do was to a reformate. Well today I go in to try to clean again and I get no where so I figure I yang the old drive out and put in a new one rather then re-format (the old drive is only 20 gig).

Anyway...I physically have done it, but a little stuck now. I bought a Seagate drive and it had a "boot utility" that I used. Now the cd-rom would not work there was instructs on making a floppy boot which I did. At this point I get a c:\ so I assume that is good? What now? I have a full version of XP, but I'm the CD-Rom does not seem active. It has power, but nothing else.

Can someone walk me thru this???
Old 08-20-06, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is it seeing the cd-rom in the bios (usually press DEL when booting)? If not, check the connections (check the IDE cables, and make sure you put the jumpers on the HDD to master). Once it works, put the Windows CD in the drive, wait, it will then ask you if you want to boot from the cd-rom, say yes, then proceed to install.

Last edited by sureAV421; 08-20-06 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-20-06, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sureAV421
is it seeing the cd-rom in the bios (usually press DEL when booting)? If not, check the connections (check the IDE cables, and make sure you put the jumpers on the HDD to master). Once it works, put the Windows CD in the drive, wait, it will then ask you if you want to boot from the cd-rom, say yes, then proceed to install.
When I check the bios is says cd-rom & hd not installed. I'll check connections and jumpers.
Old 08-20-06, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

In my bios I have

Primary Drive 0 Unknown Device
Primary Drive 1 Unknown Device
Secondary Drive 0 Unknown Device
Secondary Drive 1 Unknown Device

(I have set all to auto detect)

When I go into Boot Sequence it shows

1. Diskette drive
2. Hard disk drive (not installed)
3. CD-ROM device (not installed)

All three have checks buy them...
Old 08-20-06, 08:48 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Obviously your new drive isn't being recognized. And neither is your CD-ROM.

Are they on the same cable? I would expect that to be the case and they really should be on different cables. They're probably both set to master too which would make them both not seen.

Make sure both are set to cable select (or leave your CD-ROM the way it was if you put it on its own cable).
Old 08-20-06, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by X
Obviously your new drive isn't being recognized. And neither is your CD-ROM.

Are they on the same cable? I would expect that to be the case and they really should be on different cables. They're probably both set to master too which would make them both not seen.

Make sure both are set to cable select (or leave your CD-ROM the way it was if you put it on its own cable).
OK, weird...for me...

I unhooked the HD all together and fired up the computer. When my bios came up I noticed it not longer said my cd-rom was not installed. So I unchecked the HD and floppy, I guess telling it to boot to cd-rom. When I saved and exited, it rebooted and sure enough it tried to boot to the cd rom where I had my window XP disc in. I got thru a page or two but of course it said no hd detected and I must quite. So I hooked the HD back up and again nothing??? No HD or cd rom.??? Hummm jumpers maybe??

Should I have the jumper on,

Master or single drive
or cable detect?

This is the only HD I will have in the computer.

EDIT: sorry X I see you said that already...I've set my HD to cable select, I'll check the cd rom
Old 08-20-06, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Nope still no luck

I changed the HD to CS and the cd-rom to CS (they are on different cables).

I've cd drives (one cd-rom and one combo drive) both on the same cable.

I have slots for two HD's, but am just removing the old one and putting in this one. There is another cable for the HD's with two conectors (black and grey). I'm using the black one which is what the old HD used.
Old 08-20-06, 09:18 PM
X
Administrator

I hope you're using a high-density 80-wire cable for the new drive. It should have come with one.

Make sure the cable is plugged into the motherboard (and the drive) correctly. You did plug in the power to the drive, right?
Old 08-20-06, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well I was just using the cable already in the computer for the old hd drive. Think it makes a difference.

Could I have a bad drive? I just put the HD in a usb case and my lappy that I'm working on now does not show a USB drive....
Old 08-20-06, 09:28 PM
X
Administrator

When you put the drive in an external case it needs to be set to master.

If the drive is on its own cable and at the end of the ribbon cable you could try setting it at master too, just to see if it's recognized.
Old 08-20-06, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well my son's old hd worked in the usb case, so I know the case is fine.

I'll move the jumper around, maybe I'm mis-reading where it goes.
Old 08-20-06, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well crap...think it is a bad hd. I tried all jumper settings and my lappy would not recognize on the usb case.

When I put my son's old hd drive in the case, is showed up right away....

I don't think there is anything else to try??? It is only a 120 gb Seagate HD I think I picked up for $50 a month or so ago. Wonder if I even still have the receipt?

I can feel the hd vibrating slightly for a while when I first turn on the case, then it stops....
Old 08-20-06, 09:48 PM
X
Administrator

If you got it over a month ago you'll probably have to go to Seagate to replace it with a refurb. And you probably won't need the receipt, they should go by serial number.
Old 08-20-06, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well for grins I swapped out the ATA cable in my computer with the one that came with the HD. Still nothing.

The hd makes a sort of beeping noise every couple of seconds while is seems to be trying to boot or spin. Then it stops after about minute and nothing.

I'm pretty sure I bought at BB and can check my CC on when I bought it. I can find a deal on another drive and send this on off.

Thanks for help X....it does look easy once I get a good drive.
Old 08-20-06, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well isn't that just dandy...I punched the information on the drive into Seagates web site and they say I must take it back to place of purchase as it is a "component" part.
WTF??? I bought it in a Seagate box, and it was wrapped up and sure looked new...

Component
The product you identified was sold as a system component. Please contact your place of purchase for service. Seagate sells many drives to direct OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) customers. These products are usually configured for the OEMs only, as components for their systems. You must contact your place of purchase for any warranty support on these drives.
If you purchased this unit directly from Seagate, please return to the previous page and verify your Seagate customer number, because the customer number you entered () does not match our records.
Old 08-20-06, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
they told me the same thing when one of my drives was bad. Just email them and explain the situation and they should process and give you an RMA number.
Old 08-21-06, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

FYI,

Picked up another drive today...worked 1st time out! Windows is doing its thing. And I picked up the exact same drive so (120 gb for $50 at BB), must have just got a bad one. Will send the original one back to Seagate so will have a spare....
Old 09-05-06, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Update and help please....

OK, I put the new HD in my son's computer and all working well. I updated XP at the Microsoft site. I installed Office and updated that. Obviously I had no trouble getting fired up on the net. I also downloaded iTunes and no troubles with that.

So here's the issue,

I put I want to put his old drive in my external USB case and hook it up to his computer so that he can move over all his music. He has a ton of music, photos and some school papers. Now I realize if I put his old drive in my external USB case an connect is will show up as an additional drive on his computer and he could copy/past, drag/drop, etc.

But what I don't want, is all that spy ware, crap, etc on his old HD to show up on his new HD. Not being an expert on the subject, is there a chance by hooking this drive up thru USB it will infect his new HD?

I have checked for spy ware on his new HD my running the Microsoft beta spy ware program, the Google spy ware program and Ad-aware and so far nothing on there. And I would like to keep it that way!

Suggestions on how to do this with the least likely danger of getting crap on his new HD?
Old 09-05-06, 03:24 PM
X
Administrator

As long as you don't run anything from that old drive and nothing you copy over is infected, you're probably ok.

It wouldn't hurt to do a spyware scan on the old drive right after hooking it up. And of course you should back up your new XP installation or, at the very least, set a restore point.
Old 09-06-06, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by X
As long as you don't run anything from that old drive and nothing you copy over is infected, you're probably ok.

It wouldn't hurt to do a spyware scan on the old drive right after hooking it up. And of course you should back up your new XP installation or, at the very least, set a restore point.
Thanks for the information....

as for the iTunes, sometimes I have to laugh at how dumb I am sometimes. There is no doubt that I know just enough about computers to be dangerous.

So I did a Google (duh) on how to transfer songs from one computer to another and of course up popped the Apple sight that just said to use your iPod to do the transfering for you. Duh! I was trying to think how th easiest way to drag/drop, copy/paste and all he has to do is use his iPod! And I know he has enough room on his iPod as he has a 30 gig Video iPod and his old HD was only 20 gig! I'll hook up his old HD to my old laptop, activate iTunes on it and he can transfer that way.

http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/tu...arted_t14.html
Old 09-06-06, 04:10 PM
X
Administrator

I've just copied the music folder iTunes uses under Documents and Settings\username\ before and that worked.
Old 09-09-06, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by X
I've just copied the music folder iTunes uses under Documents and Settings\username\ before and that worked.
Thats what I'm trying right now. Just moving all the music folders over. One thing I didn't think about, his computer only has 1.1 USB, so moving pretty slow. Show it will take over an hour to complete....but seems like that should work...
Old 09-10-06, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

What happened?

OK I opened the iTunes folder on my old HD in my USB case, and copy/moved all the music to the iTunes Music folder on the new HD (he already had about 100 songs on his new computer). Took over an hour to copy all and they appear to be there.

Yet when I open the iTunes program, they are not listed in the library. I'm sure I'm not doing something, but I'm not that familiar with iTunes.

EDIT: Never mind...File add FOLDER to Library...

Last edited by Sdallnct; 09-10-06 at 12:33 AM.