Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

What cell phone are you currently sporting/sweating?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

What cell phone are you currently sporting/sweating?

Old 12-26-06, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Picked up a Blackberry Pearl from CompUSA over the weekend. 99.00 + a 50 MIR which will bring it to 49.00 + tax

So far I'm really liking it. It's smaller than I imagined. Phone conversations are clear. Haven't tried the speaker phone yet. DC area coverage appears to be excellent.

Have yet to set up my email and such but the browser works OK. Have to buy a micro sd card to load some stuff on it.

So far this unit gets the
Old 12-26-06, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by rocketsauce
Apparently if you try to put songs directly on the phone they have to be windows files or something like that. As an avid mac user i thought i wasn't going to be able to use the mp3 player. But I read on a forum that if you get a SD card you have to format the card using the phone itself; this is how you create the My_Music folder. (ill have to search for the link that tells you exactly how you do it) Then after that you can get a USB to SD converter thingy so you can just drag and drop mp3 files into the My_Music folder. This is how any mac user can utilize the mp3 player function of the phone. (now i just need to find headphones that work with it)

Edit: here's the link to formatting the SD card properly: http://dts.vzw.guided.atomz.com/exec...olve%20this%3F

Edit of an Edit: I was reading around and found out that apparently if you go into a Verizon Wireless store and get a software update on your Chocolate phone, the new update enables speakerphone. I know this was a big complaint from alot of people thinking about getting this phone. Now I haven't done this myself (planning on it today) so I'm not 100% sure of the validity, but I've read many confirmations on a few forums, so I'm pretty certain this is true.

This is the remix of the edit: Just got back from the Verizon store and got the Version 4 update, and it indeed upgrades your phone to have speaker functionality. You have to already be in a call and then hit the camera button (top right button) Really really cool that they listened to people and did this.

My phones already had speakerphone enabled, so maybe they were update by verizon when I purchased them.

I didn't format my card (sandisk) but just didn't have the standard mp3s in the right location.

Have you had any problems with battery life? Both of our phones were in the same places all day yesterday, my wife's phone battery died, and mine was at full charge by the end of the day. There was no difference in usage (which was minimal). I thought I had heard someplace that sometimes the battery life is poor and the phone (battery) needs to be replaced.
Old 12-26-06, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jon-w9
Have you had any problems with battery life? Both of our phones were in the same places all day yesterday, my wife's phone battery died, and mine was at full charge by the end of the day. There was no difference in usage (which was minimal). I thought I had heard someplace that sometimes the battery life is poor and the phone (battery) needs to be replaced.
I used to have the "european" version of the chocolate (bought it unlocked off of eBay) and had tons of battery problems. Then the speaker died, so I have no ringer or can't play MP3s. So I bought a cheap replacement off of eBay and I'm not using the chocolate any more.

Good riddance.
Old 12-26-06, 12:14 PM
Premium Member

Received 310 Likes on 216 Posts
My phones already had speakerphone enabled, so maybe they were update by verizon when I purchased them.

I didn't format my card (sandisk) but just didn't have the standard mp3s in the right location.

There was a firmware update to enable the speakerphine, you probably got in after that.

And yeah, it can play MP3's no problem.

I like the idea of the phone, but battery life is horrible. If you hear any solutions, post them, I'm basically charging this thing every day after work, just to get through the next day. It is bad.
Old 12-26-06, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

yeah i got my phone like a month ago and it wasn't enabled. i think anyone who buys the phone pretty much within the last week or so will already have speakerphone enabled.

I just bought a microSD card and USB adapter thing so I could plug it into my Powerbook G4. I formated the card on my phone like the link i posted above. Plugged the SD card into my powerbook and dropped some mp3's into the my_music folder and put the card back into my phone. the phone played all the mp3 files, so anyone with a Mac, this is your work around.

As far as battery life, since I haven't used the mp3 player on the phone until just now, I don't know if this has any effect on it. I've always been a charging Nazi (I have to charge it every night before bed) so I haven't noticed any ill effects of bad batteries. I have let it go without charging over night a few times and I haven't really noticed it drain drastically or anything, so I guess in my eyes the battery works fine. Doesn't it affect the battery if you constantly have blue tooth on? Also if you pick one of teh animated wallpaper instead of just a pic?
Old 12-27-06, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would thuink BT would use some power, since it would be searching.

The only difference I can think of between the phones is:
a) She has the free month of Vcast
b) She has a micro-SD card installed

I am leaning towards either option 'a', or a defective battery. She is using a standard (non-motion) wallpaper.
Old 12-27-06, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

well i now have had a micro sd card installed for the past day so ill let you know if i notice a difference. i don't use VCast so I wouldn't know. (by the way how do you get a free month of it?)
Old 12-27-06, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The offered my a free month when I resigned my contract a couple of weeks ago. Actually, I think it was 2, except I don't know what the free aspect is. I still need to buy the stuff, and I think it uses airtime to connect..
Old 01-04-07, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

UPDATE: I cancelled the free month of VCast (which they charged me for) on her Chocolate, and the battery life is much better. Instead of dieing after ~12 hours, it has 3-4 bars after ~16 hours.

So apparently the VCast was making the phone constantly search for overpriced music.
Old 10-29-07, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts
Bump! Can anybody recommend a good bar phone? Slider may be an option, but definitely not looking for a flip phone. Iffy on it being a smartphone/pda, as the data plan would likely not be in the picture.
Old 10-29-07, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

what service?

believe it or not the original Sony I posted is still a GREAT phone (w810i). you can insert up to a 4mb minisd card and it is a walkman player.

i have recently switched to a blackberry curve and I really miss my 810. the call quality was great, volume crystal clear, great features, etc.

you can get one relatively cheap.
Old 10-29-07, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave99
I just inherited one of these a couple of weeks ago. Considering putting WM6 on it.
Old 10-29-07, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts
yeah, sorry - i should have said at&t. wouldn't necessarily be against getting an unlocked phone that you may only normally see abroad.

however, i was thinking sony. don't really need the added music features, but rather a solid phone with good reception. most of the flip phones these days don't seem to fit either of those categories. especially the razors.

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
what service?

believe it or not the original Sony I posted is still a GREAT phone (w810i). you can insert up to a 4mb minisd card and it is a walkman player.

i have recently switched to a blackberry curve and I really miss my 810. the call quality was great, volume crystal clear, great features, etc.

you can get one relatively cheap.
Old 10-29-07, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
An older LG, probably a 2nd or 3rd gen (US) cameraphone.

I want a phone that works, that can store lots of previous calls, and has a long battery life. I don't need a camera, an MP3 player, or a GPS pedicure monitor.
Old 12-11-07, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

I tend to squeeze every last bit of life out of my phones and have had a Sanyo SCP-8100 for the past 4 years or so. But I'm tired of this phone. It's fat and bulky. The battery has degraded to the point where it is almost useless. It's a pain to receive/send text messages. Plus, about a year ago I cracked the small screen on the outside and dust is getting into it.

Sprint offers a phone upgrade program, which I'll probably take advantage of soon. I have my eye on the Motorola Razr. The only thing that I'm worried about is that in the fine print it says that I may have to change my plan, which I really don't want to do (aside from adding text message service). My current plan is pretty sweet for my needs: 300 anytime minutes, free nights/weekends, nights start at 8 pm. I'll talk to a CSR after work.

Also, how painful (hassle, fees) is it to change your phone number? I figure that since I've been back in VA for almost two years, I might as well switch my OH number to a local one.
Old 12-11-07, 02:36 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Sprint Moto Q9c. I just jumped onto the SERO party. Now that i have unlimited data, i realize i have been missing out and don't know how i ever lived before without it. way too much fun.
Old 12-14-07, 12:30 PM

Currently I'm using a BlackBerry Curve 8320. Prior to that, I was using a factory-fresh Nokia N73 Music Edition. Still have that phone, too, which I really like, but I'm looking to possibly get rid of it soon. Not sure how much to ask for it.
Old 12-14-07, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's no iPhone, of course, but it does what I need it to.
Old 12-26-07, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Last week I bought a Motorola V3M Razr off of ebay and it arrived on Monday. Since I didn't get it through Sprint's upgrade program, I don't have to bump my plan up for $10 more per month for minutes I don't need.

Having used the same Sanyo phone for 4 or 5 years (and having never owned a Motorola), this new one is taking some getting used to. But i like it so far.
Old 12-26-07, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Motorola MOTORIZR z6tv
(Verizon)

I'm not a power use, but I like this phone.
It fits in my pocket nicely (replaces a RAZR).
It can pull in a signal like almost no other phone. I can have several bars, and my wife's RAZR will have NO SIGNAL.

I'm not familiar with the TV function, because that is not available in my area.
Old 12-26-07, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Superman07
yeah, sorry - i should have said at&t. wouldn't necessarily be against getting an unlocked phone that you may only normally see abroad.
I'm currently rocking an Iphone. I highly recommend it but of course its really only for idiots that spend too much on needless accessories. If you have the cash lying around and you want a real all in one device (and turn some heads while you're at it) then I recommend picking one up.

I used to have a Samsung slider phone. I can't remember the model number and I believe they've updated it already. Either way, I really liked it while I had it. Good phone that easily does all the basic functions you need.

I recommend Samsung over any of the Motorola Razr spinoffs. I had a Razr, enjoyed it for a while but got tired of it fast. I haven't tired Sony but I hear good things about their phones too.