Teac DVD Problem

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Teac DVD Problem

Old 08-13-06, 01:40 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Teac DVD Problem

Hello everybody,

Well, I have Teac DV-516E ( DVD/CD-ROM ) four years ago. The problem is t that it doesn't read DVD anymore. In the beginning when I purchased it, I played two DVD movies and it was working. Three years later, I used a DVD-rom, but it didn't read it. Yes, only two DVDs along that period and when I tried to use third one it didn't work. It reads CD-rom very well, but when it comes to DVD it just flash regularly trying to read then it stops. Moreover, I've never ever changed the region setting.

All helps will be much appreciated.
Old 08-14-06, 02:03 AM
Cool New Member

Well, I checked it out, it only has one lens ( like most ), so supposing that the problem is the lens, shouldn't it stop reading the CD and The DVD, rather than playing CD only ????!!!!!!
Old 08-14-06, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It could be the aligning mechanism, either mechanical or electronic. I'm not sure. TEAC optical drive are good but they can be unreliable from my experience.
Old 08-14-06, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Byte Burner
Well, I checked it out, it only has one lens ( like most ), so supposing that the problem is the lens, shouldn't it stop reading the CD and The DVD, rather than playing CD only ????!!!!!!
I beleive the structure of the data on Dvd's is more compact than on a CD so it would be harder to read a dvd. You could try cleaning the lens. I have done that before with the lens and it has played fine for a few months. I dont mean one of the those cleaner disc things (you could try one first, though). You have take apart the drive (very carefully) and clean the lens with someting soft like a q-tip and do not use any kind liquid cleaner, just a dry q-tip will do. and dont do it to much as you could scratch the lens.
Old 08-14-06, 07:36 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by ernestrp
I beleive the structure of the data on Dvd's is more compact than on a CD so it would be harder to read a dvd. You could try cleaning the lens. I have done that before with the lens and it has played fine for a few months. I dont mean one of the those cleaner disc things (you could try one first, though). You have take apart the drive (very carefully) and clean the lens with someting soft like a q-tip and do not use any kind liquid cleaner, just a dry q-tip will do. and dont do it to much as you could scratch the lens.
I've just done that as you said. but it doesn't work
Old 08-14-06, 08:25 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Even though you only played 2 DVDs, you got 4 years out of it. I assume you used it for CDs What's a new DVD/CD reader cost? $20?

I got a state-of-the-art DVD burner with lightScribe for $30 yesterday. You can easily get one for under $40.
Old 08-14-06, 08:42 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by X
Even though you only played 2 DVDs, you got 4 years out of it. I assume you used it for CDs What's a new DVD/CD reader cost? $20?

I got a state-of-the-art DVD burner with lightScribe for $30 yesterday. You can easily get one for under $40.
Well, in the near future if I found no sloution, I'd be going to get a new one. I'm thinking of getting Sony DVD-RW-DRU820A
Old 08-14-06, 08:44 PM
X
Administrator

Don't get a Sony!
Old 08-14-06, 08:53 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by X
Don't get a Sony!
it sounds you've heard bad things about it, so what is your recommendations?
Old 08-14-06, 08:59 PM
X
Administrator

We've discussed Sony burners in here for a long time. They are pretty bad.

I like NECs the best, the one I just got is an LG. BenQ is also very good. All of these can be found for $30-40.
Old 08-15-06, 08:27 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by X
We've discussed Sony burners in here for a long time. They are pretty bad.

I like NECs the best, the one I just got is an LG. BenQ is also very good. All of these can be found for $30-40.
That's strange, because in my state BenQ and LG are stinky, we've tried those out they have a bad reading capability. but the best is Sony & Teac. That's the most peolpe experience over here. Plus, we don't have such a NEC in computer hardware field, just in cellular's
Old 08-15-06, 11:46 AM
X
Administrator

Well, then do what you think is best.

We started discussing burners and the best burner is not always the best reader.
Old 08-16-06, 10:01 AM
Cool New Member

So guys, nobody have an idea or suggestion??!!
Old 08-17-06, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How about Pioneer? Well, some of them are made by NEC, but I also can't find NEC everywhere. Pioneer are available, although not in large number.
Old 08-17-06, 03:22 PM
Cool New Member

Some suggested to flash the firmware, and so I did, but nothing happened. it still not recognizing DVDs. guys please help
Old 08-18-06, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Byte Burner
Some suggested to flash the firmware, and so I did, but nothing happened. it still not recognizing DVDs. guys please help
Time to get a new drive? They are fairly cheap compared to what they were 4 years ago.