Reload this Page >

Wireless network antenna cable??

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-25-06, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking to get an antenna cable so that I could put the antenna near a window for a better signal (free wifi). Anyway, I was surprised that monoprice doesn't carry them (or at least I couldn't find it). Anyway, prices are pretty expensive considering the task. Anyone know of a place like monoprice that would carry this cheap? Looking for anywhere between 10-20 feet. Thanks
Old 07-25-06, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk God

ummm.. isnt it just coax?
Old 07-26-06, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No, wifi works in the microwave range which is extremely susceptible to signal loss over regular cable. For longer runs you need special (read expensive) low loss cable.

The better solution for this situation is to get a wifi bridge to connect to the remote AP. Put the bridge and its built-in antenna wherever the signal is strongest, then run ethernet back to where you need it.
Old 07-26-06, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What frequency does it operate?

We are running 2.4GHz at work through semi-rigid coax with an o.d. of 0.141"

I believe impedance matching would be the most important aspect.
Old 07-26-06, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

thanks for the input. It's actually for my sister so I'm not 100% sure on everything. I think the frequency is 2.4ghz. ANyway, I imagine she could just get a wireless antenna and connect that to the back of the wireless network card using the cable attached to it. It'll only be a couple feet further away, but the antenna should get a much better signal or at least boost the one it can get.
Old 07-27-06, 03:03 AM
lxl

Read this:

http://wireless.gumph.org/articles/homemadeomni.html
Old 07-27-06, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

anyone ever tried one of these?
Old 07-27-06, 10:09 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
anyone ever tried one of these?
That is a commercial cantenna. You can make one that is just as good for next to nothing if you have a pringles can (notice the similarity). Plans are on the Internet. Even better is a parabolic reflector that you can fit over your existing antenna (likely omnidirectional) to make it a directional one. Again, plans are on the Internet.
Old 08-14-06, 12:29 AM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by belboz
No, wifi works in the microwave range which is extremely susceptible to signal loss over regular cable. For longer runs you need special (read expensive) low loss cable.

The better solution for this situation is to get a wifi bridge to connect to the remote AP. Put the bridge and its built-in antenna wherever the signal is strongest, then run ethernet back to where you need it.
I am having the same issue as the OP. A friend of mine tested his laptop right outside my house and he can connect to my cities free wifi service. I went and purchased a PCI card and installed it in my computer but no signal is picked up. Granted my cpu is in a desk and not near a window. I have been trying to figure out how I can get a signal to my cpu and was looking at a long cable to run to an antenna outside like the OP had asked. Can I instead buy a wireless bridge and send the signal to my PCI card in my computer? Doesn't the bridge have to be connected to the net via a cable/dsl?
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...VisitorWrapper