Reload this Page >

best CRM program - needs to integrate with outlook

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-18-06, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

At work we are trying to integrate a CRM package, but with no budget. So, I was hoping to get some open source package. I looked briefly at vTiger, but before making a decision, I was hoping to get some input from the community here.

Requirements:
1. Needs to integrate with outlook. We don't have exchange server, so everybod has his own .pst, so I'm not 100% sure if this can be done. Would be very, very nice to have though.
2. The server part preferably runs in windows environment. The clients obviously run in windows environment
3. Easy to maintain
4. Easy to backup
5. Stable
6. Easy to use

Any suggestions?
Old 06-18-06, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

what about salesforce.com or something like that

they have an online CRM app and there was a lot of hype about it the last few years. how big is your company? Trying to get a free solution for something as important as CRM is usually asking for trouble unless you only have a few employees. what kind of DB server do you run?
Old 06-18-06, 04:06 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Trying to implement your own CRM with no budget has a very high probability of resulting in failure. Even open source software will incur a fair amount of labor cost, not to mention the costs of analyzing the organization's needs, training, hardware costs and ongoing system maintenance.

How many users will you have?
Old 06-19-06, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Agree on the no cost thing.. that being said, check out compiere or sugarcrm
Old 06-19-06, 11:58 PM

Microsoft Dynamics CRM 3.0

Web based AND Outlook based. In fact, most of everything except the customizations & admin stuff can be done within Outlook. It also has an offline mode. You tell it what you want to take with you and it syncs. For example, you can say, give me all the Leads in Nebraska and sync them. Then when you disconnect your laptop, it will still be available as a local copy. Make changes to the offline data and then when you reconnect, it will sync up the data... just like offline mode for your Exchange data.

http://www.microsoft.com/dynamics/crm/default.mspx

BTW, runs on a Windows Server (IIS, etc) and the backend requirements are MSSQL 2005.

Edit: Oops, didn't see the budget constraint. Oh well.

Last edited by tsinbad; 06-20-06 at 12:01 AM.
Old 06-20-06, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by X
Trying to implement your own CRM with no budget has a very high probability of resulting in failure. Even open source software will incur a fair amount of labor cost, not to mention the costs of analyzing the organization's needs, training, hardware costs and ongoing system maintenance.

How many users will you have?
Thanks everybody for the replies.
We will have about 10 users, could grow to 20.
I am aware of the labor cost to set up and train. That is ok.
Has anybody actually installed vtiger, compiere or sugarcrm? What are your experiences with it? Is one better than the other?
Old 06-20-06, 05:50 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
10 users isn't bad for a offsite hosted solution, 20 isn't too bad either.

Something like Salesforce.com will run about $65/user/month. For 10 users that's around $7800 per year and you have no hardware, maintenance, or backup costs and you can take advantage of their online training lessons. You can be up and running tomorrow if you want as well.

Going with a hosted solution frequently is a good solution when you don't have hundreds of users and/or a budget to maintain your own inhouse system.