Reload this Page >

A $600 Router??

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

A $600 Router??

Old 06-16-06, 05:07 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A $600 Router??

Turn your $60 Router into a $600 Router???

Convert your Router

Have you seen this? Is this real/useful?
Old 06-16-06, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Third-party firmware for routers are very real and very useful. Well, more useful to some than others, but even still, the good third-party firmware will trounce first-party firmware, even for normal users.
Old 06-16-06, 05:36 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

In laymans terms, what will this do for my $60 router if I had this procedure done to it?
Old 06-16-06, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, first of all, 95% of routers don't support third-party firmware. The router that they talk about specifically was made for people who want third-party firmware (the L in GL stands for Linux) and it costs more than the same hardware without third-party firmware support.

If yours does support it, the main difference is usually vastly increased range. There is also often better security options, better throughput, etc.
Old 06-16-06, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hopefully it's better than my POS Linksys.
Old 06-17-06, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I bought a highly-recommended $60 Buffalo router and flashed it with DD-WRT firmware. Destroys my previous Linksys and D-Link routers (including the $150 DGL-4300 gaming router) in both power and configuration options.
Old 06-17-06, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Which model of Buffalo router are you using? I just happen to be in the market and was looking at the Linksys WRT54GL to replace my D-Link DI-624 that's locking up.
Old 06-17-06, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Buffalo WHR-G54S. They also have a more expensive higher-powered model that is flashable as well, though I don't feel like changing my wireless receivers to get the 108 speed, so I'm fine with the regular model.

My D-Link DGL-4300 began dropping the wireless connection every 10 seconds so I dumped it. Before I went with the Buffalo I took the Linksys SRX200 from the office to test it out and home and didn't see a range improvement either (again I don't change all my wireless stuff to go with propietary connections). The Buffalo with the DD-WRT probably gives me a 50% range boost so I can actually connect out in the yard with my built-in wireless (excellent signal, no less) where I could only get a weak connection by standing right near the house wall before.
Old 06-18-06, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, I think you just sold me on the Buffalo. $50 at Best Buy and they just sent me a 12% off coupon for screwing up the RZ program. I think this is the way I'll go, thanks.
Old 06-20-06, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Linksys WRT54G(S) versions 4 and earlier are compatible, as is the WRT54GL. Most stores only have v5 in the 54G but you can still find 54GS in 4. I got stuck with a 5 and it sucks balls. I called Linksys and requested they replace it with a 4 or earlier and sure enough, I got a 4. (The 4, BTW, is identical to the GL version) See: http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.p...wtopic&t=10230

I put DD-WRT on and it's GREAT! Bumped the signal to 70 dB, the max recommended without additional cooling. All kinds of great options and you can write scripts, etc. Basically anything you can do with Linux you can do here. Don't try to run KDE or anything.
Old 06-29-06, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So this would be worth a shot on a Linksys WRT54G ver 2 to stream HDTV from the PC to a Xbox 360? They say a 802.11a is best, but I thought this might help with the router I already own.

I assume I would use the instructions he gives but substitute the WRT54G firmware instead of the generic as listed in step #2 and #3.
Old 07-02-06, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Have you guys herad of FON. It's a commercial upstart that is trying to setup a wi-fi network in the US and Europe by getting home users to open up their home wi-fi. They are based out of Spain and have some big companies like Google and Skype/ebay investing. There are 3 types of FON users: Linus, sets up a FON hotspot and in return gets free access to any other FON hotspot; Bill, sets up a FON hotspot and gets half of all revenue generated by their hotspot. Alien, Plays to access a FON hotspot.

Why do I mention it here? They use a custom DD-WRT firmware to do it. In order to get things going they are selling $5 (13 with shipping to US) DD-WRT compatible Linksys or Buffalo routers. You have to use them to setup a FON hotspot (either linus or bill) for a year, otherwise they charge you $45 more.

Based on their forums it can take a while (1-6 weeks) for the router to arrive, and their support and feedback is lacking. The FON firmware currently puts all wi-fi on a firewalled, bandwith limited subnet, separate from your wired network. Future firmware are suppose to have 2 SSIDs, one for FON and a second that will be linked with your wired network like a traditional wi-fi point.