Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Want to convert to RAID 1 - Possible without losing data?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 06-08-06, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I currently have a 74gig Raptor as my main drive and 4x300 Maxtors in a RAID 5 as my storage drives.

I would like to mirror the 74gig Raptor in a RAID 1 array so as to further protect myself from any data loss.

I tried skimming some documentation, but couldn't find anything that would help me with this...but I don't want to lose data on my current C: drive when I convert it into a RAID 1 with an additional Raptor.

Is this possible? I seem to recall reading that it was, but don't know where I read it.

System:
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium motherboard
74 Gig Raptor on main SATA plugs - so - on the nVidia nForce 4 chip - not on the additional RAID chip controller on board - that has the RAID 5.

Not sure what other data you may need - but full build is in my sig.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-08-06, 10:17 PM
X
Administrator

You should always back up before doing something like this but you shouldn't have any problem adding a new drive to an existing drive and making it into a RAID 1 array. That's kind of the purpose of a RAID 1 array, to be able to replace a bad drive that was in the array.

Just don't mess up which is the one that has the data and which one will be the mirror. That's one reason you want a backup.

I have mirrored Raptors myself. Used them as RAID 0 for a while but figured I wouldn't push my luck.