Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Need a replacement for PowerDVD

Old 06-05-06, 09:35 PM

Need a replacement for PowerDVD

I used to love this program but the older version that I have a license for doesn't work on my new machine I downloaded/tried 7 and it seems ok but 10 days into the trial period it has stopped working[*]. The only thing I've been able to find in the Application log is something about:

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( RichVideo ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Service started.
Nothing has really changed on the machine just one day it stopped working so I'm not sure why this would be a problem all of a sudden. So my questions are:

- Just curious if anyone has seen anything like this before.

- Frankly though I'm not too impressed w/ the newer versions of PowerDVD so does anyone have any recommendations on an alternative? Some of the features I'm looking for:

* multi player/region (I have 2 players in the machine one set for R1 the other for R2)
* must be able to run while it is not the focus window (the media center player doesn't seem to like this so I can't use that )
* must support "shuttle" play, that is the ability to run it at 2 or 3 times normal play speed and have the subtitles (and audio is a bonus) continue to show/play (this is the one thing I really liked about PowerDVD).
* stereo is fine, if I want surround I use my real set-up, I just like playing DVDs (usually TV shows on DVD) on the 2nd monitor while I'm screwing around on the computer.

I also have WinDVD on the machine (which is what I'm using now) but I've never really cared for it... not sure why it just feels clunky/wrong for some reason. So what other players are out there that people like/use. I don't mind paying for the player but I'd rather it not be over $40-$50.

TIA
[*] Well actually I went through the 30 day trial w/ 6 was going to buy it saw 7 was available so I d/l that and started a new 30days. As far as I can tell there is no connection between the two versions so I should have been able to run the 30 days w/o any problems.

Last edited by nemein; 06-05-06 at 09:39 PM.
Old 06-05-06, 09:40 PM
X
Administrator

Lately I've preferred PowerDVD. In the past I always preferred WinDVD for the picture but PowerDVD for its interface/usability. However the latest PowerDVD had a pretty good picture so I started using it again on my HTPC.

But my last version of PowerDVD has been freezing up on me in the middle of movies and constantly needed repatching (with the same patch!) so I gave up on it. WinDVD has been fine since.

You can get into other players such as TheaterTek if you want to spend more time tweaking. As much as I like doing that I haven't got to that point yet.
Old 06-05-06, 09:56 PM
lxl

MPC and VLC both can play DVD
Old 06-05-06, 10:14 PM

d/l both of them and I'll give them a try. If anyone has more recommendations though I'd love to hear them.

thx
Old 06-05-06, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There's a version 7 already?

Guess my 5.0 version is already outdated, but I think as long it's at least version 4.0/XP it hsould do.

The playback seemed pretty choppy with MPC and I haven't tried VLC.

Aside from PowerDVD and WinDVD, maybe you can check out the software dvd players that the graphics cards make. I've heard that ATI and Nvidia made some ok players.
Old 06-06-06, 10:32 AM

Well, I found someone selling an old copy of PowerDVD6 so I went ahead and picked that up. It was a little closer to what I'm used to & liked about the version I had before (which was 3 or 4 I believe).

Thanks for the suggestions though I'm going to keep those loaded on the machine and play around w/ them a bit.
Old 06-06-06, 10:40 AM

I think the main advantage (and probably limitation) of MPC is that it is just a single executable, no other files need to be installed. VLC didn't look that bad IMHO (but I'm very forgiving ) but there were a couple of quirks in how it operated (this is of course after only playing around w/ it for 15 mins or so). For example I tried to set the "faster" & "slower" hotkeys to the mouse wheel but it didn't take.
Old 06-06-06, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you like to tweak, you could give Zoom Player a shot. I use this as my default viewer for all video files as well.

http://www.inmatrix.com/zplayer/featuredetail.shtml
Old 06-06-06, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ranger
Whats your computer specifications? Mine did just fine, only a little bit choppy when it passes DTS signal. It is my main player - PowerDVD and WinDVD are my secondary.
Old 06-06-06, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

p4 2.4ghz w/ 256 mb ram and a 64mb nvidia agp card. playback was perfect with powerdvd and even wmp but not mpc. But with mpc, sometimes, the playback is ok, but most of the time, it was choppy. It could be the theorica codec pack though.
Old 06-07-06, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ranger
p4 2.4ghz w/ 256 mb ram and a 64mb nvidia agp card. playback was perfect with powerdvd and even wmp but not mpc. But with mpc, sometimes, the playback is ok, but most of the time, it was choppy. It could be the theorica codec pack though.
It could be the codecs, I'm not sure. I myself have ffdshow, but I disabled it for MPEG2 playback.

Back to the OP's question, is it possible that the error is caused by conflicts or something? afaik there is no such thing called RichVideo in any of Cyberlink's PowerDVD. I could be wrong though.

EDITED TO ADD:

I made a little research and found that the RichVideo thingie did caused problem for some user. From this link: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=74791

There is a program called instsrv used to add and remove services.
Put it in the $OEM$\$$\System32 and after PowerDvd installation, in your batch or RunOnceEx or whatever, execute
CODE
instsrv "Cyberlink RichVideo Service(CRVS)" REMOVE

I think you need to find out the actual name of the service, like wuauserv is to Auto Update and replace the "Cyberlink RichVideo Service(CRVS)" and without quotes.

Just in case you don't know how to find the service name (most ppl do, but still) install PowerDvd, open services.msc, rightclick "Cyberlink RichVideo Service(CRVS)">properties and at the top it says service name.
Or an easier solution from the same link:
Thank you for your replies. I found a way of not even installing the service. I just deleted the RichVideo folder, and in Custom.ini I changed RichVideo=1 to RichVideo=0

I hope that helps.

Last edited by eedoon; 06-07-06 at 07:47 AM.
Old 06-07-06, 08:51 AM

thanks for the info, I'll try it out later.
Old 06-08-06, 12:05 AM

powerdvd 7 is the buggiest version of the program yet! i'm should of trialed it before upgradeing from 6. thinking of going back to 6 till they patch it to work, and stop crashing and freezing all the time.
Old 06-08-06, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You should try PowerDVD 1.5 before making that comment. The playback is so suck the audio/video would be unsychronized after several minutes of playback.

Glad I'm still sticking with my PowerDVD 5. The subsequent version seems to go downhill after that version.
Old 06-08-06, 10:11 AM

eedoon, guess I should but since I never tried it to version 3. I can't comment on that early version.

also on playback, 7's playback is awful as well its all jumpy and stuff. the video does look nicer but if it can't play back it smooth there is no point!
Old 06-08-06, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I remember the first decent version of PowerDVD is PowerDVD 2.55 or something. The 2.5 is fine and it is one of the first software player that can pass SPDIF signal to external amplifier, but 2.55 is much better.

Ahh. Good old times.