Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Web Design software questions...help!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology
View Poll Results: Which do you recommend?
Dreamweaver
73.68%
GoLive
0%
FrontPage
10.53%
Other (please list)
10.53%
I could care less, just show the results
5.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-30-06, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I'm about to get serious and try to design a website. What do you use? If you recommend something different than what you use please share that as well. I'm looking for something that will make the process somewhat easy to learn (I hope). I'm thinking of Dreamweaver, but am open to other options. I currently own GoLive as part of the Adobe package, but haven't used it seriously yet. It's a little unstable on my PC, which appears to be somewhat common from reading the Adobe forums.

So, what's the best out there...or best bang for the buck for someone like me starting from scratch?
Old 05-30-06, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Dreamweaver is solid.

I haven't used front page in years but it was awful when I did, not sure if it has improved.

Haven't tried GoLive.
Old 05-30-06, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk God

ill be the first to suggest... notepad.exe

Old 05-30-06, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dreamweaver.

'nuff said.
Old 05-30-06, 11:35 PM

I own dreamweaver and it is a great program. However one thing I think you should seriously try to do is to learn html and css. Those to combined with an editor like dreamweaver will enable you to make some awesome stuff. I played around with dreamweaver for a few years and until I actually started to play around with code is when I really started to do some cool things.
Old 05-30-06, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Dreamweaver I learned it through a class at my community college. So not only did I learn Dreamweaver I understand HTML (acutally XHTML) behind it how and why to use it.
Old 05-31-06, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Dreamweaver 8
Old 05-31-06, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

FYI, GoLive is on it's way out:

Originally Posted by MaCNN
In addition, Robert Raiola, Adobe's Director of European Marketing, also said that the company would abandon development of the Golive web-design product in favor of Macromedia's popular Dreamweaver. The next release of Dreamweaver, expected to be release as part of Creative Suite 3 next year, will feature an updated interface to integrate with other applications in Adobe's Creative Suite.
Old 05-31-06, 11:16 PM

Also out from Adobe is Indesign. I recently attended a conference called Todcon, which used to deal with macromedia products but obviously deals with all adobe/macromedia stuff now. But anyways they said Fireworks is here to stay and In Design is out.
Old 06-01-06, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sjrab16
Also out from Adobe is Indesign. I recently attended a conference called Todcon, which used to deal with macromedia products but obviously deals with all adobe/macromedia stuff now. But anyways they said Fireworks is here to stay and In Design is out.
I think you mean ImageReady is out. Fireworks has always been the better program, but ImageReady is convenient due to its integration with Photoshop.

InDesign will be around for a long, long time. Hopefully its Quark that fades away... soon.
Old 06-01-06, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Adobe has come out with a statement that basically says "not so fast guys"...

http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/05/31/adobe/index.php

Adobe: GoLive and Freehand development will continue

By Jim Dalrymple

Several online Web sites have posted information in the past couple of days stating that Adobe Systems will discontinue development and support for two of its products: GoLive and Freehand. Adobe says the reports are not correct and the products are not being discontinued.

“Adobe plans to continue to support GoLive and Freehand and develop these products based on our customer’s needs,” An Adobe representative told Macworld in a statement.

With the acquisition of Macromedia’s products, many people expected Adobe to cut its own Web authoring tool, GoLive, in favor of further developing Dreamweaver. Adobe did not dispute the importance of Dreamweaver for the future of the company’s products.

“Clearly Dreamweaver and Illustrator are market leading when it comes to web design/development and vector graphics/illustration,” said the Adobe statement. “Customers should expect Adobe to concentrate our development efforts around these two products with regards to future innovation and Creative Suite integration.”
Old 06-01-06, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
I think you mean ImageReady is out. Fireworks has always been the better program, but ImageReady is convenient due to its integration with Photoshop.
What exactly is the use for ImageReady? I know my way around Photoshop a little, but I never really knew the differences, especially since the interfaces look pretty much the same.
Old 06-01-06, 11:22 PM

InDesign will be around for a long, long time. Hopefully its Quark that fades away... soon.

oops, you are right.
Old 06-02-06, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll be the 2nd one to suggest notepad.exe. I use it for my website - http://danwiz.com.

Last edited by danwiz; 06-02-09 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06-03-06, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hopefully its Quark that fades away... soon.
I hope so as well. I really don't want to try and learn another program. I've been thinking about a career change and everyone in design wants quark experience...which I have none of

Thanks for all the thoughts everyone. If I had the time like I used to...and 2 less kids than I have now I would try notepad just to give it a shot...but now that kind of thinking just scares me.

I ended up buying the Macromedia Suite 8 package and now have a lot to digest. I'm already liking DW over GoLive just by the amount of documentation available
Old 06-03-06, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

That first statement is spot on. Fireworks has always been brilliant. I haven't used it in a while though due to the tight integration between IR & PS. It can't be beat, it's just too easy.

A shame about Quark who used to be the top dog. I think their decline is because of two factors. To my understanding the two guys that created/maintained the program left the company about 5 years back, leaving the program stagnant. Also with Apple maintaining the graphics world, Quark completely dropped the ball when OS X hit the scene, which was the majority of thier market. By the time they got their shit together, the graphics world had moved on in the OS X world.
Old 07-27-08, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Resurrecting because I recently decided to teach myself web design (not taking classes basically) Can anyone give me any advice on what to study up on? I am going to get dreamweaver for sure and basically buy books as well as lynda video tutorials to help.

I would rather not take classes because I'm graduating in one semester so it's too late. Is this a viable way to learn web design?
Old 06-02-09, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Web Design software questions...help!

Might as well resurrect this again to see if I can illicit a response...

Still have the itch to get into this any suggestions or help?
Old 06-02-09, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You have to start with HTML of course. Dreamweaver is good to have something done fast.

Then try to look into CSS. With those too you are ready to go into Web design. Of course that's just the beginning.
Old 06-02-09, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm still using notepad.exe for http://danwiz.com
Old 06-03-09, 08:39 AM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't know much about HTML, but from the programs I've used, Dreamweaver was better than Front Page. Just seemed to be able to place items better and had more flexibility.
Old 06-03-09, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

thanks for the advice guys
Old 06-09-09, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm on a Mac and like Coda by Panic.
Old 06-09-09, 09:06 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Front Page is now MS Expression Web. I think the latest version is Expression Web 2.

I was using Front Page 2000 for years. Never took a class. Just taught myself through web tutorials and trial & error. But I wanted to start doing more CSS, and FP2000 didn't handle that stuff. So I've upgraded to Expression Web 2.

If you've used Front Page, then you won't have any problem switching to Expression Web. But if it's your first time building a website, you might be overwhelmed. I'm pretty sure they have a free trial version. I'd suggest you try that before spending big bucks on the software. Also picking up an Expression Web For Dummies book will help.

Check out the different versions. You might qualify for the upgrade or academic versions.

http://www.microsoft.com/expression/...w.aspx?key=web