Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

help with MP3 choices

Old 05-12-06, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

help with MP3 choices

I'm looking to buy an MP3 player for my wife for our anniversary. I want to keep it around $100, but may be willing to go to $150. I don't want to spend too much in case she thinks it too complicated and won't use it(it needs to be fairly easy to use). Sandisk seems to have a couple of options that look good. They have a 1Gb that also has an SD slot, or a 2Gb for about $30 more. Are these good options? I also want to buy one that I can buy a car modulator for. What others should I be looking at in the price range?
Old 05-12-06, 06:05 PM
Retired

The Sandisk ones are crap. I have a friend that has had hers replaced 3 times so far.

I'd look into the Creative MuVo's (or Nanos and I believe they are called now). More expensive, but can get a 512 in your range. iPod shuffle if you can find them is another option around your price range.
Old 05-12-06, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Isn't the 1gig Ipop Nano $150? Get her that - it's incredibly easy to use, very cool and very hip. Since you mentioned that a complicated device might scare her off, go with something easy - it doesn't get much easier than the Nano.
Old 05-12-06, 06:42 PM
Retired

Yeah, if the Ipod nano is $150, go with that. I though it was more.
Old 05-12-06, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
for $150 for only 1GB I'd spend an extra $30 and get a 20gb creative player
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...Fencoding=UTF8
I have a Rio that runs off a AAA battery and uses SD cards. only has 128MB of on board memory but with SD card that doesn't really matter, and the player was under $100
Old 05-13-06, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by mikehunt
for $150 for only 1GB I'd spend an extra $30 and get a 20gb creative player
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...Fencoding=UTF8
I have a Rio that runs off a AAA battery and uses SD cards. only has 128MB of on board memory but with SD card that doesn't really matter, and the player was under $100

i would stay away from the rio's. the interface was cool (probably one of my favorites), but it was cheaply put together. if you/she is going to use it extensively, stay way. i used mine everyday at the gym and, literally, on the 30th day, it would crap out. after four times, i went with an iriver.
Old 05-13-06, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ESUguy
I'm looking to buy an MP3 player for my wife for our anniversary. I want to keep it around $100, but may be willing to go to $150. I don't want to spend too much in case she thinks it too complicated and won't use it(it needs to be fairly easy to use). Sandisk seems to have a couple of options that look good. They have a 1Gb that also has an SD slot, or a 2Gb for about $30 more. Are these good options? I also want to buy one that I can buy a car modulator for. What others should I be looking at in the price range?
I've a Sandisk Sansa m230 (512MB) that I picked up last Black Friday for $40. Although it has an oddball shape, the interface is easy to use and sounds great. It uses a single AAA battery that lasts for about 12 hours. They also make a 1GB and 2GB version.

Best Buy has the Sansa e250 (2GB) on sale for $150. It plays audio files as well as displaying images and playing movies. It includes a microSD slot so that you can add more storage capacity to the unit. The only downside is that it appears that the only way to recharge the device is to attach it to a PC's USB port. I was considering upgrading to the e250 (especially at that price), but how on earth will this thing last on a week long trip without a PC connection?!
Old 05-13-06, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nano
Old 05-14-06, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I couldn't resist the $150 pricetag on the Sansa e250. So on a chance, I bought it and the smallest and cheapest powered USB hub BB sold. Turns out that the hub can charge the device, so in essence I have an AC charger for it (that can also charge my other devices that can recharge via USB)

The sound quality is excellent. The UI controls are logically laid out, though the directional buttons are a little bit difficult to press because of the raised wheel. The size is comparable to the Nano. The screen is crisp and bright (and nearly twice as large as the Nano's). Photos look sharp.

So far the only way to get video on the device is to use the supplied converter software. It is a one-touch operation. Unfortunately it generates files that weigh in at a ridiculous 12MB a minute. I'll need to do some investigation to see about getting that down to no more than 1MB/min. But I don't think I'll be playing many movies on this thing... I'll stick to converting DVDs (and recorded shows) via AGK and playing them on my smartphone.

all in all, a pretty nice device.
-----------
update: Managed to poke around the .ini file for the Sansa Media Converter and reduce the encoding video bitrate. It's now down to 6MB/minute of video with only minimal effect on quality. I need to do some more snooping around to lower the encoding bitrate for the audio.

Last edited by sracer; 05-15-06 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-14-06, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks all. She's mainly wanting it to listen to at work, so I'd hope she won't be too hard on it. I'll look into the ones you've suggested.

It's only going to be used while she's working, so I don't think she'll need it for anything but music.
Old 05-14-06, 02:57 PM
Retired

How much space does she need (how many songs does she have). If she doesn't need a ton, I'd still go with the 1 gb nano as it's vesatile and easy to use.

If she has a couple hundred CDs or more, I'd look into a creative hard drive based player that can hold them all, as flash players don't offer any real advantage for those just using them at the desk. They're great for people using them to work out etc. as the HD players have moving parts and can break.

I have both myself. A Dell DJ for work, and a Creative Muvo for working out.
Old 05-15-06, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really don't expect her to put more than 10-20 CD's on it. She probably has 50-60 CD's around the house, but still listens to the radio in her car. I may just go with the 1Gb nano, or 2 if I decide to spend that much.

Another question, Nanos have an internal battery. Is there any benefit to buying one that uses regular batteries?
Old 05-15-06, 12:28 PM

Here's one at Circuit City.

1G and an fm tuner. Just picked one up myself last week. Nice player.
Old 05-15-06, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Prakis
Here's one at Circuit City.

1G and an fm tuner. Just picked one up myself last week. Nice player.
This looks like an awesome deal at $69. Is it pretty easy to use? I can probably help with uploading music to it, but she'll be the one using it. Also, are FM transmitters universal?
Old 05-15-06, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've also found the iRiver 5Gb hard drive based one for a good price, but there are quite a few bad reviews on Amazon. Anyone here used one?
Old 05-15-06, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by ESUguy
I'm looking to buy an MP3 player for my wife for our anniversary. I want to keep it around $100, but may be willing to go to $150. I don't want to spend too much in case she thinks it too complicated and won't use it(it needs to be fairly easy to use).
iPod Nano 1GB, $140 on sale at Circuit City. Case closed.
Old 05-15-06, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So, is the Ipod that much easier to use then the others? Will the Creative Nano be a pain in the ass?
Old 05-15-06, 05:12 PM
Retired

The iPod is a bit easier to use. The connection with iTunes is idiot proof.

But the creative player is simpler drag and drop in windows (no need to use another program) so it's simple too.

During play back the iPod Nano has a much better screen. Color, will show artist, album and song etc. The Creative is the same as the one I have, just a newer version. It has a non color, tiny screeny and only shows the song title and time of track, so it's not nearly as easy to navigate the menus, pick albumst to listen to etc.

So if she's going to want to pick specific songs or albums out to listen to, get the iPod. The creative player is great for just throwing music on and listening to (i.e. for working out) but I'd never use mine as an everyday player as I want something where I can get right to the song/album I want.

One draw back is the iPods don't have FM tuners built in, and the creative player does.
Old 05-15-06, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
the Creative one I posted is full color
does photos too
and it's sweet, it got delivered today
Old 05-17-06, 11:34 AM
Retired

Yeah, I was talking about the 1 GB creative Nano flash players vs the iPod Nano since that seems to be the type he's interested in.

The 20GB HD Creative player you got is a sweet one.
Old 05-17-06, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm liking it so far

I just thought of something, if she'll use it running/exercising a flash player might be a better choice
my creative one had a warning about jogging with it
Old 05-18-06, 10:37 PM
Retired

Yep, there's always a risk with any HD based player with using in while active since it is an HD and has moving parts.