Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

DVD burner questions

Old 05-07-06, 10:48 PM

DVD burner questions

I'm looking to buy a dvd burner and have a few questions? Whats the best dvd burner to buy for a reasonable low price. I don't really want to spend over $100-$120. Also, is it possible to burn .flv files to a dvd? I have alot of .flv files downloaded, can they be copied or need to converted or what?

thanks in advance
Old 05-08-06, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You're talking an internal drive, right?

Newegg has a one day sale on a good NEC dual layer burner for $34.99 plus $2 shipping.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827152058
Old 05-08-06, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Chew
You're talking an internal drive, right?

Newegg has a one day sale on a good NEC dual layer burner for $34.99 plus $2 shipping.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827152058

Yes, I got this burner and recommend it. For the price, features and performance, this is a great deal.
Old 05-08-06, 09:19 AM

I see no one said anything about your .flv files. I can't either, since I've never heard of them. There is a site that's all about burning................dvds and cds. You can get help with with ANY kind of burning problems or questions. I'm not saying you can't get enough help here. I'm saying that's all that site is about.
http://forums.afterdawn.com/

I like the LiteOn burners. They build for other folks too. I've also heard good things about the NEC burners. BenQ is another good brand. So, you probably can't go wrong with either one. All three of these are capable of "Booktyping", which is a very good feature to have.
Good luck!
Old 05-08-06, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I try to stay away from answering conversion questions when the post specifically says "downloaded clips". Without knowing the origin of those clips, we could be helping with copyrighted stuff and we shouldn't be touching that.

.flv is Flash related and I guess I'm not sure if that's copyrighted or not.
Old 05-08-06, 09:30 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

It must be some conspiracy from movie studios. Everyone I know thats considering getting a dvd burner thinks they cost over $100. There have been very high quality drives under $100 for a long time now.
Old 05-10-06, 04:29 AM
Cool New Member

TigerDirect has a nice price on the Sony DRU-810A.
Old 05-10-06, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll also recommend the NEC drive from New Egg. It's one of the best burners on the market, if not the best, and New Egg has an amazing price on it.
Old 05-10-06, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Two days later and the price is still the same. So much for a "one day sale", I guess.
Old 08-21-06, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For those of you in this thread how have the NEC burner (or any DVD burner, for that matter...) do you have it in an external enclosure? If so, which one? I was looking at this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817146607

as an option and just wanted some input.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-21-06, 11:00 PM
X
Administrator

I can't swear to it and I've never had one, but I recall that brand as being considered a very good enclosure.
Old 08-22-06, 01:50 AM
Cool New Member

Well, I'm also going to by a new DVD-rw, but don't you think that NEC is cheap comparing with such a reputation it has (29.25 only) !! I don't get it. My budget for DVD-rw is 50-60
and what is that "Booktyping" ??

Last edited by Byte Burner; 08-22-06 at 02:35 AM.
Old 08-22-06, 09:56 AM
X
Administrator

Sometimes price doesn't have much to do with quality. And in NEC's case when a new model is coming out (which is fairly frequently) they price the previous model cheaper to clear it out.

I think Sony's price mostly tries to rely on its old reputation, although that reputation was never earned in the DVD burner area. Same with Plextor now, relying on its old CD burner reputation.

Booktyping allows you to set a DVD+R or DVD+RW to look like a commercial DVD-ROM for maximum compatibility with standalone DVD players.
Old 08-23-06, 12:29 AM
Cool New Member

Yeah , you're right! about Sony. and if NEC keep this strategy, then it will make a solid ground of fans. By the way, when we talk about the reading quality of a drive it's understood that it is the capability of reading bad shape CDs , for instance. But what is it when we say "this writer is the best" as to my experience all of them do write the same method and quality!! I mean in the end you get your CD/DVD written!!
Old 08-23-06, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Byte Burner
and if NEC keep this strategy, then it will make a solid ground of fans.
NEC already has a solid fanbase, and they have for a while now, because their burners are among the best you can get.

By the way, when we talk about the reading quality of a drive it's understood that it is the capability of reading bad shape CDs , for instance. But what is it when we say "this writer is the best" as to my experience all of them do write the same method and quality!! I mean in the end you get your CD/DVD written!!
Not all DVD burners are created equal. Some have more failed burns than others, some have more burn errors, so your DVD player has to work harder to correct those errors, and some burn discs that aren't compatible with a higher number of standalone DVD players.

I haven't had any of those problems with my NEC burner. The discs I've made have played on every DVD player I've put them in.
Old 08-24-06, 07:10 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
I haven't had any of those problems with my NEC burner. The discs I've made have played on every DVD player I've put them in.
Well, you're the thierd person recommend NEC. So this is it, I'll avoid having Sony DVD-RW-DRU820A and go get NEC, what do you say?
Old 08-25-06, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You'll be much happier with the NEC over the Sony.