Reload this Page >

Folder as Virtual CD Drive?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-24-06, 01:09 PM
Stealth Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it possible to create a folder on the hard drive as a virtual CD drive?

No, this isn't so that I can make "backups" of my CDs. And I don't want an ISO image reader either. What I'd like to do is to designated a folder as my G: drive and for the computer to recognize it as a CD drive. So that when I use Nero to burn something, I can choose the E: drive (DVD burner), the F: drive (CD burner), or the G: drive (virtucal CD drive). And if I burned something on to the G: drive, then the files would show up in the folder as though they would show up on a CD.

ALSO, I have a video software that has a "burn to CD" function, and I don't want to have to keep wasting CDs because it missed one file. With a virtual CD drive, I can "burn" it to the G: drive (a folder in my hard drive), verify the contents, and if everything is in order, then burn it onto an actual CD. I guess I could use a CD+RW so I won't be wasting CDs, but it'd be much faster (cooler) if I could do this with a virtual CD drive.

It this even possible?
Old 04-24-06, 01:23 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nero can burn to an "image recorder" as one of its recordable drives. Along with Nero's ImageDrive you could do what you want but it would be something like an ISO image.
Old 04-24-06, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alcohol 120% can take an ISO and make it appear as a virtual drive (H: or something similar). It also lets you swap back and forth between ISOs rather quickly.
Old 04-24-06, 01:43 PM
Stealth Moderator

Yeah, I do NOT want to make an ISO image. I want the actual files created.

So basically, if I had taken 10 data files and "burned" them with Nero to the G: drive, then it'll just copy those files to the virtual drive folder.
Old 04-24-06, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't think of way to do that since I think to have a virtual drive, you need to use an emulator like daemon tools.
Old 04-24-06, 03:04 PM
Stealth Moderator

Originally Posted by Ranger
I can't think of way to do that since I think to have a virtual drive, you need to use an emulator like daemon tools.
I've come across a couple daemons, but both took the ISO image and mounted it as a virtual CD.

Maybe I'll just go buy a few RWs. How reliable are the RWs? Can I really reformat a CD and burn a new one, and repeat that a thousand times?
Old 04-24-06, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

IMO, CD-RWs aren't worth it. You still can re-write to CD-R as long as you don't "finalize" the session i.e. with Nero, check the option for multiple burns."
Old 04-25-06, 09:45 AM

i'll give you some cd-rw's....
Old 05-06-06, 08:43 PM

Use SUBST Command

(Not sure if the board got this so I'll post it again. My apologies for any duplication.)

Save your time and money and use the DOS command SUBST.

From a command window or the Start>Run dialog do a:

SUBST G: C:\NamjaTemp

Assuming there is a "C:\NamjaTemp", G: will now point to it.

You can see all your virtual SUBST drives by doing a SUBST alone in a command window, and remove it with a "SUBST /D G:", where G: is your drive letter.

As an aside, don't forget that RW discs have a limited number of uses and that all CD media has a kind of shelf life, even archival CDs.

Cheers,

Iso-Infinity
[email protected]

"Because total compliance includes your brain."
Old 05-07-06, 10:05 AM
Stealth Moderator

Thanks ISO-Infinity. That doesn't really help because I can only use an unused drive letter to SUBST, thus I cannot use the current CD drive letter to SUBST.

My software only recognizes the D: drive as an optical drive. I cannot substitute D: with a folder since D: is already taken. I can use P: for example since P: is currently being unused, but my software does not recognize P: as a CD burner so it's useless.

Anything else I could be doing?
Old 05-08-06, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Couldnt you do something like use nero imagedrive, then daemon-tools to mount it as files? its two steps but...
Old 05-08-06, 11:45 AM
Stealth Moderator

Interesting idea ravan. Will try that when I get home.

Although, with CD-Rs being so cheap these days, I guess it's not that big a deal burning test CDs. I just hate the idea of throwing away CDs.