Reload this Page >

Wireless Internet Question

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-22-06, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently purchased a laptop. I have my house set up wirelessly except my desktop wired to my router.

I have my wireless network secured with a password and everything.

When I go on my laptop to sign on to my network, I type in the password and it connects, yet it says "Limited or no connectivity" and I can't sign on the internet.

Any suggestions on what i'm doing wrong? I'm currently running Windows XP on both computers.
Old 04-22-06, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by edytwinky
I recently purchased a laptop. I have my house set up wirelessly except my desktop wired to my router.

I have my wireless network secured with a password and everything.

When I go on my laptop to sign on to my network, I type in the password and it connects, yet it says "Limited or no connectivity" and I can't sign on the internet.

Any suggestions on what i'm doing wrong? I'm currently running Windows XP on both computers.
Is it an issue of signal strenth? Are you way across the house with several thick walls between you and the router?
Old 04-22-06, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm actually right next to my router. It's all in the same bedroom.
Old 04-22-06, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm trying to implement Fast-EAP at work and I get the same error, I think the issue is with Windows XP or the wireless driver not being compatable with the new technology. However my CISCO cards work fine but the cheap wireless cards that come with the computer have the issue. What type of security are you using?
Old 04-22-06, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's a good question. How do I find that out?

I have a linksys router and I type in an ip address and my username is admin and whatever. Then it takes me to this linksys screen. When it comes to networking and stuff, i'm pretty stupid.
Old 04-22-06, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have faced similar problem at work where I used my laptop with wireless (2Wire), but computer dept employee fixed the problem somehow. I think it has to do with security on route something.
Old 04-22-06, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I guess the problem is the network is not assigning my computer an IP address. Anybody know how to do that?
Old 04-23-06, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

you can force an ip address. go into your network settings and look under tcp/ip. typically, it'll be something like 192.168.2.1. using the command prompt, type "ipconfig /all" on one of the working computers, and just change the last digit slightly on the non-networked computer. make sure it doesn't interfere with any of the other ip's.
Old 04-23-06, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's a good question. How do I find that out?

I have a linksys router and I type in an ip address and my username is admin and whatever. Then it takes me to this linksys screen. When it comes to networking and stuff, i'm pretty stupid.

If you don't know your security setting then your wirless network is probalby wide open. Like you said in a different post your computer is not getting an IP address.

YOu need to make sure that your router has DHCP turned on, you can log in to your router and look for DHCP make sure it is turned on.

On your computer you need to go to your local area connection, open up Internet protocol TCP/IP and make sure that "Obtain and IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS sever address automatically" are both checked.
Old 04-23-06, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Lateralus
If you don't know your security setting then your wirless network is probalby wide open. Like you said in a different post your computer is not getting an IP address.

YOu need to make sure that your router has DHCP turned on, you can log in to your router and look for DHCP make sure it is turned on.

On your computer you need to go to your local area connection, open up Internet protocol TCP/IP and make sure that "Obtain and IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS sever address automatically" are both checked.
Well on my laptop, it has my network listed under the Available Wireless Networks. It says "Security-enabled wireless network". So i type in the password and then it connects. But then it says "Limited or No connectivity" and it can't retrieve an IP Address.

I went under my internet protocol TIP/IP and have checked both "obtain an ip address automatically" and "obtain DNS server address automatically" yet I still can't get it to work.
Old 04-23-06, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well on my laptop, it has my network listed under the Available Wireless Networks. It says "Security-enabled wireless network". So i type in the password and then it connects. But then it says "Limited or No connectivity" and it can't retrieve an IP Address.

I went under my internet protocol TIP/IP and have checked both "obtain an ip address automatically" and "obtain DNS server address automatically" yet I still can't get it to work.
First of all try turning off any firewall you have on your computer, maybe that might be the issue.

hmmmmm Try unsecuring your network and see if you can hook up, once you get a connection then try to lock it down.

Also make sure your router has DHCP turned on.
Old 04-23-06, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just got this laptop so I'm not sure if there's a firewall on this computer. How do you unsecure your network?

The odd thing is, I took this over to my parents house and was able to log on to the internet off their connection.
Old 04-23-06, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Figured it out. Was typing the wrong WEP key the whole time for my network.

Thank you everybody for your help.