Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

need help identifying mystery icon (in systray)

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-17-06, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so this neat thingy appeared here a couple of days ago.
I have no idea what it does or what program it is for. Right
clicking on it doesn't do anything. Clicking it brings up a box
that says "cannot find (some long file name with lots of symbols)" and then opens up an IE window. Any ideas about
what this is?

Old 04-17-06, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's an icon for a mapped network drive. Why it's in your tray, I don't know.
Old 04-17-06, 11:08 PM

Wow, I don't even have a clue what that is...should I be worried?
Old 04-18-06, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A mapped network drive allows you to connect, share, retrieve files from another computer. For example, in the corporate world many employees share files on networked drives that aren't phsically on their PCs (they are on a server). I have a desktop that has a mapped drive to my laptop so I can share files between the two. I don't have an icon in my systray though, so that part is still a mystery. Did you install any hardware/software recently? Windows updates? Did yhou try a system restore?
Old 04-18-06, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by bahgee
A mapped network drive allows you to connect, share, retrieve files from another computer. For example, in the corporate world many employees share files on networked drives that aren't phsically on their PCs (they are on a server). I have a desktop that has a mapped drive to my laptop so I can share files between the two. I don't have an icon in my systray though, so that part is still a mystery. Did you install any hardware/software recently? Windows updates? Did yhou try a system restore?
I haven't installed anything recently. All I can think of is that the other day it appeared that my computer must have restarted during the night (I am not sure why, none of the clocks were flashing, so no power outage).

Ok, now I am a little concerned about this...no one is "sharing" my files on my computer are they? Should I proclaim a code red on my PC or is it not time to panic yet?
Old 04-18-06, 12:09 PM

Here is the error I get when I click on it. After I hit ok, an IE window opens...

Old 04-18-06, 02:30 PM

Maybe something related to this?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/04..._patch_glitch/
Old 04-18-06, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you to go startup under msconfig can you disable it from starting with your computer? Go to start---run---type msconfig.
Old 04-18-06, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mopower
If you to go startup under msconfig can you disable it from starting with your computer? Go to start---run---type msconfig.

I don't see it anywhere in my startup under msconfig, at least there was nothing about a mapped drive (but I am not too sure what I am looking for either).
Old 04-18-06, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Actually It's probably a UPnP drive connection to the card reader on the HP Printer. That recent hiccup with the MS update is quite different, where it pretty much locks up explorer until you open task manager and kill the verclsid.exe process. We have a ton of HP PC's running Nvidia cards at work and they all are getting plagued by this.
Old 04-18-06, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by dgmayor
Actually It's probably a UPnP drive connection to the card reader on the HP Printer. That recent hiccup with the MS update is quite different, where it pretty much locks up explorer until you open task manager and kill the verclsid.exe process. We have a ton of HP PC's running Nvidia cards at work and they all are getting plagued by this.
Ok, is this something I should be worried about, and if so, what should I be doing about this? This stuff is just waaaaay over my head, thanks for the help.
Old 04-19-06, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm assuming you have an HP Printer, probably a color deskjet that is considered a "photo printer" and has card reader slots on it? If that's the case, then no, nothing to worry about. UPnP is Universal Plug and Play, which basically means that if something is connected or on the network that is UPnP, it'll automatically show up on your PC as a device, drive map, network resource or whatever if your PC has UPnP enabled. It sounds like it's trying to work together with HP software that either isn't installed or isn't properly installed. All in all it shouldn't be much of a concern, although you may try reinstalling your software that came with the printer to clear up that error message. If you don't actually use the card reader on the printer (if that's indeed what you have ) then I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Old 04-19-06, 11:55 AM

I'm assuming you have an HP Printer, probably a color deskjet that is considered a "photo printer" and has card reader slots on it? If that's the case, then no, nothing to worry about. UPnP is Universal Plug and Play, which basically means that if something is connected or on the network that is UPnP, it'll automatically show up on your PC as a device, drive map, network resource or whatever if your PC has UPnP enabled. It sounds like it's trying to work together with HP software that either isn't installed or isn't properly installed. All in all it shouldn't be much of a concern, although you may try reinstalling your software that came with the printer to clear up that error message. If you don't actually use the card reader on the printer (if that's indeed what you have ) then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Hmmm...the plot thickens. I actually have a canon printer, with no card reader on it. However, I did just think of another posssible explanation (but I am really stretching here, so you guys will have to tell me if I am on to something).

Not too long ago I installed a new external DVD burner on my PC. I rarely use it and even though it has been plugged in, via usb, for a couple of months, there hasn't been an icon for it listed under my computer (and I haven't used it since I first installed it). However, a couple of days ago while using Itunes, I accidentily hit the eject disk button and this caused my pc to suddenly recognize this device and open the tray. Since then, the DVD burner's drive icon has been listed under my computer. Does this sequence of events have anything to do with my mysterious new icon? Or am I completely guessing here ( or both )?
Old 04-19-06, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

does it happen to be an HP burner?
Old 04-19-06, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by kantonburg
does it happen to be an HP burner?

No...it is an I/O magic
Old 04-19-06, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I searched part of the path

c:/program files/hp/digital imaging/bin/

You google that and tons of spyware listings pop up. Also I'm curious as to why the / is / way and not \ way. For instance c:/program files instead of c:\program files. That to me smells spyware. Or I'm being overally cautious. Run a good spyware scanner. I personally have been using microsoft's defender with good results.

But in the mean time run their web based scanner. It seems to find all kinds of goodies.

http://safety.live.com/site/en-US/default.htm?s_cid=sah
Old 04-19-06, 04:02 PM
lxl

/ is standard for file:// protocol, as a matter of fact, if you drag and drop an HTML doc into Firefox or Maxthon, you will see the url in address bar uses /'s
Old 04-19-06, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kantonburg
I searched part of the path

c:/program files/hp/digital imaging/bin/

You google that and tons of spyware listings pop up. Also I'm curious as to why the / is / way and not \ way. For instance c:/program files instead of c:\program files. That to me smells spyware. Or I'm being overally cautious. Run a good spyware scanner. I personally have been using microsoft's defender with good results.

But in the mean time run their web based scanner. It seems to find all kinds of goodies.

http://safety.live.com/site/en-US/default.htm?s_cid=sah

I wouldn't unecessarily scare the OP. googling that path and having spyware listings pop up is beacuse those are all from people posting their hijackthis logs and what not, and they all are running the HP digital imaging software that comes with most of their scanners and all-in-one printers (software which generally sucks, but thats just a personal opinion).

OP, did you ever have any HP printer, scanner etc installed on this machine? Did someone else maybe try to install software without your knowledge, or are you on a LAN and someone else on the same LAN has some type of HP printer/scanner/all-in-one device?
Old 04-20-06, 12:15 AM

I wouldn't unecessarily scare the OP. googling that path and having spyware listings pop up is beacuse those are all from people posting their hijackthis logs and what not, and they all are running the HP digital imaging software that comes with most of their scanners and all-in-one printers (software which generally sucks, but thats just a personal opinion).

OP, did you ever have any HP printer, scanner etc installed on this machine? Did someone else maybe try to install software without your knowledge, or are you on a LAN and someone else on the same LAN has some type of HP printer/scanner/all-in-one device?

No, but my PC is an HP and it came with the HP Imaging software (which I never use). However, I believe the program is still on my PC, so it is possible that my wife accidentily ran the program or something...hmmm...
Old 04-20-06, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well there ya go. Remove it from Add/Remove and see what you get
Old 04-20-06, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
still strange that it uses the mapped drive icon
Old 04-22-06, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wasn't trying to scare but now that I look a little closer to the googled search I see you're right. Hope he gets it.
Old 04-23-06, 10:42 PM

Thanks for the help guys. I am not sure what was causing the problem, but after cleaning up my PC a little and restarting it the weird icon seems to be gone.