Reload this Page >

So, looking for portable navigation/GPS system [merged]

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

So, looking for portable navigation/GPS system [merged]

Old 04-11-06, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, looking for portable navigation/GPS system

i was looking for a portable navi that i could use for a car, possibly the ique 3600. what do you guys think?

http://www.garmin.com/products/iQue3600/
Old 04-11-06, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

anyone?
Old 04-11-06, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Checkout this website:

http://gpsinformation.net
Old 04-12-06, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I was thinking of Garmin 330 street pilot...

still researching though.
Old 04-12-06, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've seen a couple threads in Tech Talk about GPS's but I'm too lazy to search for them right now. Garmin tends to be the most highly recommended. I have the 2720 and like it allot.
Old 04-12-06, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Mole177
I was thinking of Garmin 330 street pilot...

still researching though.
I bought the Garmin C320 as it has a removable SD card that the maps are stored on. It was cheaper and I found that I could put four states on the included 128mb card. As for the 330 & 340 I just didn't like the fact that you were stuck with the built-in memory (possible limitation in future).

I use mine daily in my real estate practice.

Sonic
Old 04-12-06, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

.....Or you could wait a few years and get into the Galileo system which is accurate to within a meter....
Old 04-12-06, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sonicflood
I bought the Garmin C320 as it has a removable SD card that the maps are stored on. It was cheaper and I found that I could put four states on the included 128mb card. As for the 330 & 340 I just didn't like the fact that you were stuck with the built-in memory (possible limitation in future).

Sonic

I second everything in this post.....
Old 04-12-06, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Price has been fluctuating recently, but right now Amazon has the Garmin StreetPilot 2610 for ~490. This has been hovering at 510 or so for the past few weeks. This is the one with the CompactFlash card for map storage, and no hard drive.

Wait a second... they have two. One is closeout, and is only 449.99:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...lance&n=172282

Hmm... I just bought it myself. Any thoughts on this model?
Old 04-12-06, 03:00 PM

I've been looking at the Garmin StreetPilot i3 for a very long time now. My friend has one and it is perfect for me.
It's a fully functional GPS that has voice prompts and way-points. It also stores multiple states on the memory card. The only thing bad about it is the small screen size and the lack of a touch screen. Of course that's to be expected when it's going for ~$250-$300

If I had money I'd definitely go for a bigger one, but for those more economically prohibited I'd recommend the i3
Old 04-13-06, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig
Price has been fluctuating recently, but right now Amazon has the Garmin StreetPilot 2610 for ~490. This has been hovering at 510 or so for the past few weeks. This is the one with the CompactFlash card for map storage, and no hard drive.

Wait a second... they have two. One is closeout, and is only 449.99:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...lance&n=172282

Hmm... I just bought it myself. Any thoughts on this model?
i might get this one too. seems like this is the older model, and is being replaced by the 27xx series, but is a few hundred cheaper than the 27xx.
Old 04-13-06, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

hehe... anyone thinking about getting the Garmin 7xxx models ??
Old 04-13-06, 11:30 AM

If you have a laptop you can get a Garmin or Microsoft one that supposedly work very good for around 100$. For 30$ more you can get a FM transmitter to send the signal to your radio (for voice prompts...also useful for playing mp3's off of your laptop). I recently got the Garmin one and it works great...check out both of them at Amazon for reviews. I also found an AC adapter for the cigarette lighter so can plug in my laptop or anything else....a lot cheaper than the standalone GPS units if you have a laptop to use for it...
Old 04-13-06, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JimRochester
I've seen a couple threads in Tech Talk about GPS's but I'm too lazy to search for them right now. Garmin tends to be the most highly recommended. I have the 2720 and like it allot.
i read that that model is traffic ready. have you used that function? and if so, how do you like it?
Old 04-13-06, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by D.Pham00
i might get this one too. seems like this is the older model, and is being replaced by the 27xx series, but is a few hundred cheaper than the 27xx.
If you do a search for Garmin in this forum and the tech forum, there are several links and opinions that tell the difference. The 2610 is the older model (2004?) without a hard drive, the 2620 is pretty much the same with a hard drive. The 27xx models are later models, with "3d" maps, a traffic system (which is apparently still a little buggy), the voice tries to say the names of the streets you're turning on (which people say can be annoying), and optional XM radio. I think the XM one is available at Costco.com.

Ah, I'll just link the other thread where they talk about the traffic feature:

http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread....ghlight=garmin

And here's a link for comparisons between Garmin models:

http://www.gpscity.com/compare-garmi...tpilot-gps.htm

The original poster wanted a portable navi... these definitely cannot be used outside of a car, so if you want something that you can hike with, it's not going to work. With my free Amazon Prime trial, I'm getting my 2610 tomorrow, and I'm eager to try it out.
Old 04-13-06, 04:01 PM

very cool. my company is developing an in car navigation system that should be available sometime this summer.

just out of curiosity, for those that use a portable in-car navi, what is it that you like/dislike? and for those that are thinking about getting one, what're you looking for? and why haven't you purchased one yet?
Old 04-13-06, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tublecane
If you have a laptop you can get a Garmin or Microsoft one that supposedly work very good for around 100$. For 30$ more you can get a FM transmitter to send the signal to your radio (for voice prompts...also useful for playing mp3's off of your laptop). I recently got the Garmin one and it works great...check out both of them at Amazon for reviews. I also found an AC adapter for the cigarette lighter so can plug in my laptop or anything else....a lot cheaper than the standalone GPS units if you have a laptop to use for it...
The other sales guy at my place has the laptop version. One advantage is it's easier when planning multiple stops as in sales calls. Harder for one person to use because it has to sit on the seat next to you. I would plrobably go that route before I bought a GPS without touchscreen.
Old 04-13-06, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by D.Pham00
i read that that model is traffic ready. have you used that function? and if so, how do you like it?
I don't have the traffic antenna. It doesn't work everywhere just in some of the major metropolitan areas, at least that's my understanding. I may get it at some point but that service has a monthly fee.

The operation of the 2720 is not perfect, but it is very good. They all have some sort of glitch or shortcoming. The 2720 sometimes has you avoid traffic that isn't there. In NJ it kept have me getting off the main X-way and riding the local ramp parallel to it. The traffic wasn't bad so I stayed on.
Old 04-13-06, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JimRochester
I don't have the traffic antenna. It doesn't work everywhere just in some of the major metropolitan areas, at least that's my understanding. I may get it at some point but that service has a monthly fee.

The operation of the 2720 is not perfect, but it is very good. They all have some sort of glitch or shortcoming. The 2720 sometimes has you avoid traffic that isn't there. In NJ it kept have me getting off the main X-way and riding the local ramp parallel to it. The traffic wasn't bad so I stayed on.
So did you subscribe to the traffic service before? Or are there two levels of traffic data, one that you have to subscribe to and another that you get by default? If so, what's the difference?
Old 04-13-06, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig
If you do a search for Garmin in this forum and the tech forum, there are several links and opinions that tell the difference. The 2610 is the older model (2004?) without a hard drive, the 2620 is pretty much the same with a hard drive. The 27xx models are later models, with "3d" maps, a traffic system (which is apparently still a little buggy), the voice tries to say the names of the streets you're turning on (which people say can be annoying), and optional XM radio. I think the XM one is available at Costco.com.

Ah, I'll just link the other thread where they talk about the traffic feature:

http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread....ghlight=garmin

And here's a link for comparisons between Garmin models:

http://www.gpscity.com/compare-garmi...tpilot-gps.htm

The original poster wanted a portable navi... these definitely cannot be used outside of a car, so if you want something that you can hike with, it's not going to work. With my free Amazon Prime trial, I'm getting my 2610 tomorrow, and I'm eager to try it out.
well, the 2610 on amazon has gone up to ~510. with a 2gb card, that's nearly 600, and the 2720 is 733 at amazon. plus, i like it when they say the street names. i have a euro spec OEM 1st gen VW navigation system in my car, and it's annoying since it doesn't tell you what street to turn on. this may not be so important in rural areas where the roads aren't too close together, but in an area like downtown LA, it comes in handy. i have to look down at my screen everytime i make a turn so i make sure i turn on the right street.

what i meant by portable is that it can easily be moved from car to car. with my current navi system, it'd be a major PITA to get it to work with another car.
Old 04-13-06, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like Garmin but if it comes down to the Garmin 2610, I would rather own the Magellan Roadmap 700. Better interface, integrated 20GB drive holding all the map info, same price.
Old 04-14-06, 01:36 AM

What do/would you look for in a Portable In-Car Navigation System?

The company I work for is in the process of developing a Portable In-Car Navigation System. I'd like to get any feedback you have regarding your experience(s) with them.

If you're considering buying one, what are you looking for in a System. Why are you getting one, haven't bought one yet...whatever. Anything you'd like to say about them...

It would greatly be appreciated. Basically, we'd like to make a system for the people who will use them.
Old 04-14-06, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

well, i decided to pick up a refurb'd 2610 for $404 shipped and a 2gb cf card for $65. i really wanted the 2720, but i couldn't justify paying that much more for it. i opted against the 700 due to it's internal hd. i've had really bad luck with hd's recently.
Old 04-14-06, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Do any of these models allow you to easily import itineraries/routes from PC mapping software like MS Streets & Trips?
Old 04-14-06, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't believe so. I know Garmin has their own software to setup the routes, waypoints, etc. and then upload to the unit. With software like Microsoft Streets and Trips, you're just using the GPS unit for pulling in the satellilte reception. The routes is Streets and Trips' responsibility.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.