Reload this Page >

Really Hating Itunes right now

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-04-06, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently got a device that allows me to stream mp3's from my computer to my home stereo. It seems to work best with Itunes. I've always had problems with the way Itunes organizes and displays my music, so I tend to stay away from it. But I'm using it in this case. My problem is, I have all my music separated into individual folders by artist. Each artist folder has all the albums in it. I have a separate folder for soundtracks and another for compilations. But what happens is, when I scroll through Itunes, under my Artists menu, there are hundreds of names there because every single person who has a song in my library is listed. It's just ridiculous and incredibly frustrating to have to scroll through stuff I don't even recognize to get to the artist I want.

Is there a way to make Itunes only organize by album title and associated artist and not pull every single artist out of every single song on compilations and soundtracks?
Old 04-04-06, 01:14 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

you can try creating a smart playlist with artist=[name of artist] and album=[all]

or, add a grouping tag to the artist(s) and his/her/their albums
Old 04-04-06, 02:40 AM
Stealth Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You don't have to use the Browser (list of Genre, Artist, Album) when using iTunes. Click on the eye (top right) and that will show/hide the Browser.

Whether you choose to use the browser or not, in the list below, click on the Album column and the mp3 list will be sorted by album title.
Old 04-04-06, 03:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by monkeyboy
I recently got a device that allows me to stream mp3's from my computer to my home stereo. It seems to work best with Itunes. I've always had problems with the way Itunes organizes and displays my music, so I tend to stay away from it. But I'm using it in this case. My problem is, I have all my music separated into individual folders by artist. Each artist folder has all the albums in it. I have a separate folder for soundtracks and another for compilations. But what happens is, when I scroll through Itunes, under my Artists menu, there are hundreds of names there because every single person who has a song in my library is listed. It's just ridiculous and incredibly frustrating to have to scroll through stuff I don't even recognize to get to the artist I want.

Is there a way to make Itunes only organize by album title and associated artist and not pull every single artist out of every single song on compilations and soundtracks?
I just got an ipod last week and I feel your pain. I don't mind the arrangement on my HDD because I never use the files but damned if I want 500 artists to scroll through on my ipod.

I have loved itunes since day one, but this is one thing that is very frustrating.
Old 04-04-06, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It sounds like you just want to keep the multitude of soundtrack and compilations artists from showing up along with all the others.

Highlight all the albums that have multiple artists, right click, "Get Info", select the option that designates it as a compilation, hit OK. Then with the menus at the top, select Edit --> Preferences --> General tab --> "Group compilations when browsing." This will make it where instead of listing all the artists, it will have an "artist" called Compilations that then subsequently lists all the compilation albums in the next column.

If I'm understanding your problem, this might fix it.
Old 04-04-06, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

what sort of a device did you get?

i currently use my xbox to play music from my computer, but i want to stream to another receiver in the house....
Old 04-04-06, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I currently use the AirPort Express. It works pretty seamlessly with iTunes. We have multiple computers using iTunes, so any computer can play over the distributed audio system anytime.
Old 04-06-06, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by crankyman
what sort of a device did you get?

i currently use my xbox to play music from my computer, but i want to stream to another receiver in the house....
I got a Roku 1000. It's pretty cool. It looks pretty slick and it streams music flawlessly. One down side is that it isn't wireless G, it's B, so I guess it slows everything on my network down to B. That's what I read anyway. You have to have a computer running one of several media apps, i.e. Itunes to stream mp3's, but it'll pick up internet radio without a computer running, as long as your wireless router is functioning. It has 10 presets you can add radio stations into.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I juts haven't had a chance to try anything yet, but I will. Some of that advice sounds promising.
Old 04-06-06, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Xanager is right. But beware. The CDDB apparently tags a lot of stuff as "Compilations" erroneously. Ryan Adams "Gold" was tagged as a compilation as well as quite a few "Greatest Hits" type albums. I have to clean up the list after I made the change.
Old 04-06-06, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Xanager
It sounds like you just want to keep the multitude of soundtrack and compilations artists from showing up along with all the others.

Highlight all the albums that have multiple artists, right click, "Get Info", select the option that designates it as a compilation, hit OK. Then with the menus at the top, select Edit --> Preferences --> General tab --> "Group compilations when browsing." This will make it where instead of listing all the artists, it will have an "artist" called Compilations that then subsequently lists all the compilation albums in the next column.

If I'm understanding your problem, this might fix it.
That did exactly what I wanted. The only other problem I have is that I'd like all my soundtracks to appear under a soundtrack folder in the artists tab. I always browse for music through the artist category and would like to access my soundtracks through there. But that's not the fault of the software, just my analness.

Unfortunately the Roku still lists ALL artists. It's strange that it won't mirror the menu settings running in Itunes, since Itunes has to be running on the computer for the Roku to play mp3's. I'll go hit the forums at Roku to see if there's a fix.
Old 04-06-06, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've always browsed starting with Genre. But instead of having Rock, Pop, etc, I just make a Genre called "Full Album." Then I also have Soundtrack, Audiobook, Classical, and one called Orphan for all the singles I have.

The only problem with the compilation tag I ever run into is that once you browse to the "Compilation" artist, it takes you straight to the Albums. I guess the whole point is to take the artist name out of the artist field, but I wouldn't mind having one more iteration there. Not a major deal though.
Old 04-06-06, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I use mediamonkey and have no experience with iTunes whatsoever. MM seems to imply that id3v2 has fields for both artist and album artist. That way, each song can maintain its own real artist, but also be given a tag of "Various" or "Compilation" for the album artist field.