Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

VOIP: howto?

Old 03-09-06, 09:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VOIP: howto?

Hi,

I now have been tasked with installing VOIP in our corporate network.

Requirements:
- incoming calls for "normal" phones
- being able to make outgoing calls to "normal" phones
- being able to make internal calls
- call park
- call forwarding
- callerID
- call waiting
- voice mail

This would be used for about 10 internal phones.

We would potentially have access to very high internet connectivity, if not, it would be a standard DSL.

How do I set this up? Plug all the phone in a ethernet switch, and hook that one up to a VOIP enabled router? Any suggestions (model and make please) as to what a good router / switch would be?

How do the outgoing calls work? Do I need to subscribe with a provider (vonage etc)? Any suggestions for a good provider with unlimited long distance call for US and Canada?

As usual, any help is most appreciated. Oh yes, if you know of a good website that would walk me through the various steps, that would be a great help.
Old 03-10-06, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
I know the company I use for my personal VOIP does business accounts, too.

www.packet8.net

Don't know if that helps you or not.
Old 03-11-06, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
check out asterisk for a free alternative for software. Very powerful pbx software and will connect to just about anything.

For an easy distro you can get up in a couple of hours check asteriskathome.sourceforge.net
Old 03-12-06, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
second the asterisk idea. I've fooled around with it (the @home version), pretty easy to get going for basic functions, it can do some pretty cool stuff if you spend some time working with it. For call termination, you might also checkout voipjet.com or voxee.com instead of vonage, voicepulse etc. They can use the IAX protocol that asterisk uses to make multiple calls more efficient, and easier to configure, plus you don't have to pay for features you won't need (because asterisk has them builtin).