Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Want to make DVDs from analog tapes

Old 12-29-05, 11:09 PM
mjl

Want to make DVDs from analog tapes

I know it's a common project: I want to take my old analog home movie videos (on VHS and 8MM videotape) and make DVD's out of them. I have a fairly new computer that has a fire wire port, USB ports, a DVD burner and Sonic software... so what I need now is a video converter that will take analog video and put it into my computer. I know this will be a time consuming project to go through years of these videotapes, so i want to do it right the first time. Can someone tell me if there are major differences among the converters... and once I get one is there anything I need to know regarding format, compression or whatever? I've read bits and pieces on the Internet, but I am unclear. Thanks
Old 12-29-05, 11:45 PM

Quick way

I also wanted to do the same thing a few months ago. I think the quickest way and less stress is to go and buy a DVD recorder unit. You can probably get one for AUS$500. Then you just record directly from the VHS into the DVD.

If you want to use the computer to do it, what I found is it is very time consuming, you need a converter card (probably AUS$300) and the software to convert into the hard drive, then burn, etc. which in the end maybe more expensive and takes a lot longer to do.

Cheers
Old 12-30-05, 06:22 AM
mjl

analog to dvd

I know i can dub directly from a vcr to a dvd recorder but using a computer allows me to use software with which I can add menus, etc. Does anyone have advice as to what is the best video converter to use to get analog into a pc... and any other issues I should be aware of?
Old 12-30-05, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would highly recommend you search around this site: http://www.videohelp.com/

It's full of guides and recommendations on your topic.
Old 12-30-05, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Those Dazzle/Pinnacle boxes are pretty good.
Old 01-02-06, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There are computers that come with everything installed using Windows XP Home Media Edition. I've never used the features because I have a Panasonic standalone recorder, but my Sony VIAO came with all the inputs for VCR, LD Player, Cassette Deck, Turntable, Camera, etc. in the front of computer. I can then copy into a file in My Video, My Music, etc. and then edit/create menu/burn with software of choice.
Old 01-02-06, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mjl
I know i can dub directly from a vcr to a dvd recorder but using a computer allows me to use software with which I can add menus, etc. Does anyone have advice as to what is the best video converter to use to get analog into a pc... and any other issues I should be aware of?
I recommend buying a high-quality TV tuner card for your computer. Preferrably one that has hardware MPEG1/2 capture/encoding. Make sure that the card has composite and SVideo inputs (in addition to the coax TV input).

Using a card with hardware MPEG capabilities means that you should be able to capture the video from your camcorder or VCR directly to MPEG2 with high quality. Otherwise, you'll need to capture in some high-bitrate format and then re-encode to MPEG2 for DVD burning.

I have a cheapo IOMagic PC PVR TV tuner card ($35) with those inputs, and even with software encoding the results are surprisingly good. You'll probably need some additional video editting software and DVD burning software. Sonic is extremely basic.
Old 01-02-06, 05:27 PM
Suspended

I have the ADS Pyro A/V Pro (~$150) and it's done pretty well. Of course, it is time-consuming as another poster stated.
Old 01-02-06, 09:18 PM
Cool New Member

I've kinda been doin' this in my spare time. Basically, my mini-dv camcorder acts as the converter between the analog source and the computer. I figured why drop money on a converter whose sole purpose is just that, versus spending a little more and get a camcorder. VCR hooks directly into camcorder which hooks directly to computer through USB port. I use the Sonic program. Doing it like this basically allows me to put in chapter points (just by hitting the space bar at desired times), then I can set up the menu when its done. I guess this is the easiest way to make a dvd copy of the analog without having to be to "computer literate." I tryed doing editing with programs after the video was loaded, but it was much too labor intensive. Hope this helps.
Old 01-02-06, 09:24 PM
Cool New Member

Camcorder to computer via firewire. Sorry about that.
Old 01-04-06, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought the go video VHS>DVD recorder on clearance from media Play at 75% off. Works great and was under 100 bucks. It has an auto chapter feature which puts one in at 3-5-or 10 minute intervals. You can also hit "Add Chap" on the remote while watching it to stick one in on the fly. They actually look better than a few I captured in iDVd on my mac. Anyways, for $100 it was a no-brainer.