Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Cisco VPN constantly disconnects...any ideas?

Old 12-27-05, 10:36 AM

Cisco VPN constantly disconnects...any ideas?

I'm running a WinXP SP2 laptop (work laptop) through my Netgear FVS318 firewall/router. I connect to the office via the Cisco VPN. the connection is fine for about 30 minutes, but if I don't touch anything for 10 minutes or so the connection fails. Now...it tells me that I'm still connected but I can't connect to any shared drives and I can't send/receive through Outlook so I know I'm not connected. It sure sounds like a timeout issue but I can't find a setting anywhere that looks like it would fix this.

Note that this only happens at home. If I'm a hotel, etc I stay connected all the time.

Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 12-27-05, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
try pinging a device on you network while you are VPN'ed . The small amount of traffic may make sure that your pc does not lose connection. I've seen simular issues with the cisco VPN client.
Old 12-27-05, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a similar problem. I just disconnect and reconnect. Never found a solution.
Old 12-27-05, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Are you running ZoneAlarm? We use Nortel VPN at work and I've found that Nortel and ZoneAlarm are incompatible.
Old 12-28-05, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Check to see if there is a firmware update for your router. We use Nortel at work and we have had problems with some Linksys routers where they had to update the firmware.