Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

How to merge a partitioned drive?

Old 12-20-05, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How to merge a partitioned drive?

My friend has an older Sony VAIO lappy (Win ME). Her HD is partitioned into "C" and "D" drives. The "C" drive is a small 4GB while the "D" is 6GB. She's filled up almost all of her C drive but her D drive is pretty empty.

I have no idea why it was partitioned in the first place (she doesn't know either). Since most programs are installed and run from the C drive, she'll need to free up or add some space to the drive. So how do you go about merging the two drives back into one drive without losing files and programs?

A step by step "walkthrough" would be helpful since she isn't too computer savvy.

thanks!
Old 12-20-05, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Step 1. Buy Partition Magic software

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...tware&n=507846

Step 2. Do what it says in the instruction manual (if there is no data on D then it is easy, delete D and expand C over the free space)

Old 12-20-05, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Perhaps the D drive is supposed to contain the restore image of the PC ...
Old 12-20-05, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

4krg, thanks for the very simple and concise instructions. is there an alternative to purchasing a product?

bigpete, how do I check to make sure that the D drive does not contain essential files as you brought up.
Old 12-22-05, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Does anyone have a FREE alternative to my problem? thanks!
Old 12-22-05, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, there are free ones. I have always used PM so I can't say how well these work

1. http://www.columbianet.gr/~zeleps/faq.html

and

2. http://www.ranish.com/part/

You really need to make sure there is nothing on the D drive that you need

make sure you backup anything that is important to you, messing with partitions is serious and if something goes wrong you will lose all data
Old 12-22-05, 08:00 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Sony has a habit of doing that with all their pc's. When they image their pc's, C drive is really small, just about big enough to hold o/s and a few programs, and then they leave the rest of the hard drive as a second partition which is mostly empty. Most people dont even know that they have a secong partition. I have restored several sony's and then taken partition magic to make drive "c" the bigger of the two, if not making it just one partition.
Old 12-22-05, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I have a Sony Vaio desktop and always thought that was a pain in the ass. My C drive is very small, and bunch of programs I use (eg. iTunes, CD backup programs) automatically want to store stuff on the C drive and of course, I get a message saying there isn't enough space, so I have to change the settings to have the necessary stuff saved on the D drive instead (which of course, has a huge amount of space).