Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Computer reboots only during gaming...power supply problem?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-15-05, 09:13 AM

Well my PC is having random reboots, but ONLY during games. Here are my specs:

ASUS P5AD2-E Deluxe Mobo
Pentium 3.2GHz + Zalman cooler
2x512MB Corsair Ram
2x300GB WD Sata Hard Drives
Geforce 6800GT PCIe + 81.95 + NVSilencer
Audigy2
TV Tuner
DVD-RW
CD-RW
Floppy
2 case fans (1 intake, 1 outtake)
Seasonic S12-500 (500W) Power supply
No overclocking cpu, fsb, or gpu. Even disabled motherboard's default 2% overclock.

The problem is that the PC reboots at random times during games, and only during games, either 10min or 60 minutes go buy, then BAM, reboot. The LCD doesn't come back on, stays in sleep mode or something, but the PC is definitely rebooting. I have to shut down the PC then turn it back on for the the monitor to work again.

The problem isn't Windows, I've put the beast through tons and it's rock solid. It's not the ram, I've Memtested the thing, solid. It's not heat, GPU temp doesn't go above 76 under full load (checked with nvtemplogger) and the cpu runs at normal temps too.

The problem has to be the power supply, right? But it's a good quality 500W PS, shouldn't it be able to handle my system just fine?
Old 12-15-05, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My guess is that the video card is either drawing too much juice or overheating ...
Old 12-15-05, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Definitely sounds like the video card overheating. 76c isn't too much, but maybe the gauge is defective? 500w PSU should be sufficient for your rig.
Old 12-15-05, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

You can try disabling automatic restart in Windows XP and see if it brings up a blue screen error message.

Press the Windows Key+Pause/Break to bring up your System Properties
Click on the "Advanced" tab
Click on the "Settings" button in the “Startup and Recovery” box
Uncheck the "Automatically Restart" option
Click "OK"
Old 12-15-05, 12:08 PM
Stealth Moderator

Originally Posted by matome
Definitely sounds like the video card overheating. 76c isn't too much, but maybe the gauge is defective? 500w PSU should be sufficient for your rig.
sure sounds like it ...
Old 12-15-05, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Unless your PS is defective, it looks like it has plenty of juice on the 12v rails to support your hardware

http://www.seasonicusa.com/products.php?lineId=9

the 500w rating is not meaningful, but

+12V1: 17A / +12V2: 16A should be enough power for what you have on 12v, make sure your vid card is on a 12v rail by itself.

it sounds more like a heat related problem to me

Could be gpu, cpu, or ram You seem to think the cpu and gpu are fine, have you run something like memtest86 for 8-10 hours?

http://www.memtest86.com/

it could also be something with the video drivers/driver config.
Old 12-15-05, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by matome
The factory installed fan/heatsink from BFG would make the card do 90c, with the NVSilencer it tops out at 76c. You may be right about the gauge being defective, I heard some BFG 6800GTs had that problem. I think I may be screwed though, doesn't installing an after market fan on the card void my warranty?
Originally Posted by fumanstan
You can try disabling automatic restart in Windows XP and see if it brings up a blue screen error message.
Tried that before, no blue screen, nothing logged in the event log either.
Originally Posted by 4KRG
+12V1: 17A / +12V2: 16A should be enough power for what you have on 12v, make sure your vid card is on a 12v rail by itself.

it sounds more like a heat related problem to me

Could be gpu, cpu, or ram You seem to think the cpu and gpu are fine, have you run something like memtest86 for 8-10 hours?

http://www.memtest86.com/

it could also be something with the video drivers/driver config.
The video card has it's own PCIe connector, so it should be OK on the power department.

I ran memtest86 when I first bought the ram, I'll try it again tonight for 8-10 hours, or should I do a Prime95 stress test instead? My CPU runs at normal temperatures, so it's either bad GPU gauge or maybe ambient temperature goes too high (which I doubt, 2 case fans + PS fan + NVSilencer outtake).

I've tried different video card drivers, after doing a full clean with Driver Cleaner Pro too, no luck.

So the consensus is that video card is crappy eh? Well don't know if BFG will replace it cause of the NVSilencer attached to it. Don't know if it will sell on ebay either. Bah.
Old 12-15-05, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Try running with your case wide open, the heat off, the windows open. the mother of all box fans blowing on it, etc. Get the GPU temp down to 40C and see how long you last. You didn't say how big your case fans were, but only 2 sounds a little bit low - I'm used to 3 or 4 whenever I have a PC with more than the most basic of setups.

Last edited by BigPete; 12-15-05 at 08:12 PM.
Old 12-16-05, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Try checking and seeing if you have a good amount dust that is on your CPU that is causing it to over heat. Check your CPU fan as well as se what, if anything is in it (dust etc)
Old 12-16-05, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by BigPete
Try running with your case wide open, the heat off, the windows open. the mother of all box fans blowing on it, etc. Get the GPU temp down to 40C and see how long you last. You didn't say how big your case fans were, but only 2 sounds a little bit low - I'm used to 3 or 4 whenever I have a PC with more than the most basic of setups.
I don't think getting a 6800 GT down to 40C is very feasible. 76C under load is already pretty good. My 6800 GT runs 60C idle and works just fine.

Unless you mean CPU.

That's a great power supply though. You might want to try older video card drivers from Nvidia and see if it makes a difference too. Other then that, maybe you borked something installing the new video card cooler?
Old 12-16-05, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Geiger
Try checking and seeing if you have a good amount dust that is on your CPU that is causing it to over heat. Check your CPU fan as well as se what, if anything is in it (dust etc)
Pretty sure it isn't CPU heat. I installed the Zalman cpu cooler 2 weeks ago and just rechecked it last night, clean and working great. I've also checked my CPU/Ambient temperature using the Asus AI Booster, everything looks great. And anyway, I think the motherboard would beep like crazy if the CPU were overheating. Also, I believe the newer Intel CPU automatically slow down to not overheat so that that don't get damaged. Anybody else watch the video at Toms Hardware testing several CPUs and intel was the only one still working without a fan? Of course, Quake3 was running at 2fps, but at least it was still alive.

I'm going out of town for a couple weeks soon, so I guess I'll be contacting BFG to replace my video card. Which stinks, cause I think they require you to send it in and then wait for a replacement, so no PC for a long time. Think I'll just end up buying a new video card while I'm waiting on BFG then ebay the new replacement when it arrives.
Old 12-16-05, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Spooon69

I'm going out of town for a couple weeks soon, so I guess I'll be contacting BFG to replace my video card. Which stinks, cause I think they require you to send it in and then wait for a replacement, so no PC for a long time. Think I'll just end up buying a new video card while I'm waiting on BFG then ebay the new replacement when it arrives.
Yeah, I replaced my 6800 GT from BFG a few months ago. It took me about a week to recieve my replacement.
Old 12-17-05, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by BigPete
My guess is that the video card is either drawing too much juice or overheating ...
Also open your computer case and check for swolen or leaking capacitors on the motherboard.
Old 12-19-05, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Spooon69
The factory installed fan/heatsink from BFG would make the card do 90c, with the NVSilencer it tops out at 76c. You may be right about the gauge being defective, I heard some BFG 6800GTs had that problem. I think I may be screwed though, doesn't installing an after market fan on the card void my warranty?
For most manufacturers you will have voided the warranty with your heatsink mod, though there are a couple that allow you to do it and keep the warranty. I believe XFX is one of them for future reference. You may want to contact BFG and ask them, since you don't have much to lose.