Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

should I still run a software firewall?

Old 12-06-05, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

should I still run a software firewall?

ok, I'm currently using a D-Link AT&T Callvantage router and am about to add a wireless router(not sure of brand yet) as well. now should I continue to run a software firewall to be safe as well or could I cut it loose afterwards?

I'm currently running ZA Security Suite on XP Pro.
Old 12-07-05, 12:06 AM

I'd cut it loose, no need for 2 firewalls, unless you want to block yourself from other PCs in your LAN (behind the router).
Old 12-07-05, 12:48 AM
lxl

I am still running software firewall (Sygate) even I have router. I use software firewall to monitor
1. suspicious outgoing connections;
2. changed applications.
Old 12-07-05, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I still use a software firewall too, for monitoring outgoing connections but also because I don't trust everything on my LAN. With a wireless router it's possible for someone to connect locally and bypass the router firewall, even though it is very unlikely if you have it setup securely. I also have other users on my LAN who could easily launch a worm or have a trojan, either because they are just inexperienced or they do stupid stuff like DL executables from p2p.
Old 12-07-05, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, I use ZA for outgoing monitoring.
Old 12-08-05, 08:36 AM
Mod Emeritus

If you can find one that works well, it can't hurt to have a personal firewall as well as the hardware one. Personally, I had given up on personal firewalls for a while due to ZA's habit of becoming unstable over time and consuming too many resources. A while back someone here mentioned Kerio (http://www.kerio.com/kpf_home.html). I installed it to give it a try and have been quite pleased with it.
Old 12-08-05, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Kerio rules
Old 12-08-05, 11:08 PM
lxl

I had problems with Kerio PF on Windows 2000 (although my XP was OK), spent lot of time on Kenio's forum, no solutions... so I switched to Sygate on Windows 2000, after awhile I did on XP too.
Old 12-10-05, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I use Kerio PF on both Windows 2000 Pro and Windows XP Pro and have had no issues on either computer. It's a decent firewall at a great price = free. You do lose features after about 30 days i think.
Old 12-10-05, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
there are some features that go away after the trial, but I never used them during the trial period