Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Quick questions about processors (Athalon vs Semperon)

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-03-05, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I am helping a friend look for a new PC and I needed a little help too. She does not play games, she does mostly web surfing and word processing, mixed in with some digital photo stuff. So I was thinking that she probably doesn't need the fastest processor out there. But I also don't want to reccommend something that will be a complete piece of junk either.

Are the AMD Semperons useful for this type of computer user or should I definitely have her go for the Athalon? I don't have any experience with the Semperon line, so I am not sure how good/bad it is. Thanks for any suggestions you guys might have.
Old 12-03-05, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

sempron is an athlon with less cache or something like that

i'm guessing it's probably OK, but some things on the web are getting CPU heavy. My ancient P3 933 can't play the videos on the new version of Itunes
Old 12-03-05, 12:23 PM

Yeah, that is what I thought the difference was.

I just noticed that I decided to add an extra syllable to both the Athlon and Sempron...hmmm, shows you how much I know. Like the blind leading the blind, or the blind leading the blinder...

Thanks!
Old 12-03-05, 01:37 PM
Video Gamer Reviewers

I could go into details and describe the difference... but I really don't think you need to know.

To answer your question, for the tasks you are describe a budget processor (Intel Celeron or AMD Sempron) should be fine. The computer I'm currently running has a Sempron processor and it works fine. I've had it for over a year and I've been very happy with it.

Just make sure it has a fair amount of RAM, 512MB and a 7200RPM (or faster) hard drive.
Old 12-03-05, 03:49 PM

Thanks, I really appreciate the help! I was thinking pretty much what you said, but it helps to hear it from someone who owns a Sempron.