Reload this Page >

Portable media players?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Portable media players?

Old 11-07-05, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Portable media players?

What are some good portable media players?

I was looking at this one
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?Inv...at=MP3&cpc=JAD

What about using a PSP, DS, or PDA as one? I currently use my zodiac for this but getting stuff to play is hit or miss.
Old 11-09-05, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a PSP and an O2 XDA Mini that I play videos off and the PSP is hands down the best quality. I've played with various other portable media players cause we sell them at work, and none of them come close to the PSP unless you fork out the cash for a small laptop. The screen is just superb. I don't carry around my PSP everywhere though, so I use the XDA to show work collegues all the ... interesting videos I download off the net.
Although that Pontis thing does look nice and it's not too expensive either. You might want to see if you can at least look at one before buying it. It's possible that the build quality is crappy.
Old 11-11-05, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
I bought the Pontis (haven't gotten it yet) but my main use is going to be converting camcorder tapes and video clips from the VCR onto media files. There's shows all the time and we either tape it for ourselves or for professors to use in class and presentations. I COULD go the Tivo-> computer -> DVD, but it's easier to fast forward to the spot and with the touch of a button have the converted file.

There's also the issue of tapes that other students have that I add to my collection. It'll be nice to pop it into the VCR, connect the Pontis, and start recording to a video file.

It also has voice recording... I go to lectures all the time and 99% of the speakers always agree to be recorded for non-commercial purposes.

If that wasn't enough, this also lets you put in CompactFlash and transfer photos, so I just got a 20 gig photo bank for when I go on trips. And of course if plays media (but I don't plan to use it for that, just for the uses I outlines above).

It is just so simple to convert family tapes this way, and it's portable.
Old 11-11-05, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
What are some good portable media players?

I was looking at this one
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?Inv...at=MP3&cpc=JAD

What about using a PSP, DS, or PDA as one? I currently use my zodiac for this but getting stuff to play is hit or miss.
Wow, that looks like a very nice unit for the price. If I didn't already have an SMT-5600 WindowsMobile smartphone, I would be seriously considering that device.
Old 11-11-05, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
I bought the Pontis (haven't gotten it yet) but my main use is going to be converting camcorder tapes and video clips from the VCR onto media files. There's shows all the time and we either tape it for ourselves or for professors to use in class and presentations. I COULD go the Tivo-> computer -> DVD, but it's easier to fast forward to the spot and with the touch of a button have the converted file.

There's also the issue of tapes that other students have that I add to my collection. It'll be nice to pop it into the VCR, connect the Pontis, and start recording to a video file.
I haven't seen where the Pontis can RECORD video... do you have a link that provides details about that feature? thanks.
Old 11-11-05, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.pontis.de/download/Data_Sheet_MX2020_ENG.pdf
Old 11-11-05, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the link. That's quite nice... especially for the price!
Old 11-11-05, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

" * Pontis' (http://www.pontis.de/) MX2020

There is now a firmware update for the MX2020 that adds Ogg Vorbis support, which is a portable player for movies, music and photos. "

http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/PortablePlayers

BTW GEEKMX2020 Free shipping at geeks.com.
Old 11-12-05, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Got the Pontis today, already recording from a VCR. The interface is VERY intuitive and you can navigate with a stylus or with the buttons.

Now the battery charging is NOT intuitive... there's a device bay and a battery bay, but the battery bay is for a SECOND battery (not included). If you want to use the Pontis connected to the wall, you have to put it and the battery together in the first bay. Other than that, this thing is awesome Video is excellent. I don't know anything else that has a 20 gig HD and can transfer and view CF, and record audio and video (together or separate), and can play audio, videos, and photos all for $200. Work is the only place I view videos and for that I have my GBA SP (I couldn't bring this because it has USB connectivity, prohibited at work), so I bought it for the recording and CF functions alone. It delivers.