Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Latest Internet security software recommendations?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Latest Internet security software recommendations?

Old 11-01-05, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been using Zone Alarm Pro and Kaspersky Antivirus software for my Internet security for more than a year now, largely based on recommendations by people on this board. Other than some e-mail problems that cropped up with the latest version of ZA, I've had no problems.

I got an e-mail from a buddy of mine who had to pay to have some malware removed from his computer, and the person who worked on his Windows XP machine recommended he get Panda Platinum. I've heard good things about Panda's AV software, but bad things about their firewall.

Since it's now late in the year, it seems the new versions of firewall and AV software has been coming out, so I'm not as up on things as I was a year ago, so I thought I'd ask folks here what their current recommendations are.

What are the current preferred AV and firewall programs? Are there any decent integrated suites? And what about the recommendation for Panda Platinum?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 11-02-05, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Personally, I use AVG and Sygate Personal Firewall. However, as far as anti-virus apps, Kaspersky and Trendmicro's PC-cillin rated fairly high in some reviews I read some months ago. Trendmicro also has a pretty cool online anti-virus/spyware scanner.

I have no spyware problems. Apparently, the thing to look out for now is root kits.
Old 11-06-05, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The main thing is common sense.

After that there are many products to use to protect yourself.

Personally, I use AVG and Spybot/Spywareblaster. I also use a hardware firewall (router) and have used Kerio in the past.

That's about it.

Oh yeah, and I stay away from Sony products. Yep, rootkit made by Sony. Nice.

I'd consider paying for a good antivirus program that detects rootkits like the Sophos one coming out in 2006. But i'm sure that many companies are considering this.

http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=977

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-5...eed&subj=zdnet

Last edited by bill_n_opus; 11-06-05 at 02:24 AM.
Old 11-06-05, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I myself use these three products: AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition (now up to 7.1.362), ZoneAlarm 6.0.667.000, and Ad-Aware 1.06r1. Works for me!
Old 11-06-05, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RayChuang, how's Zone Alarm 6 working for you? I've been hesitant to upgrade from 5.038, since they had a lot of issues with the first release of 6.
Old 11-06-05, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by matome
RayChuang, how's Zone Alarm 6 working for you? I've been hesitant to upgrade from 5.038, since they had a lot of issues with the first release of 6.
That's why I've been hesitant to continue using ZA when my license expires. When I upgraded to 6, it was a disaster, so I had to jump through hoops to roll back to 5.5whatever (apparently the upgrading is what is problematic, not clean installs).

Not long after that, I installed a new hard drive and did a clean install of Windows, so I just installed the latest version of ZA. Everything was fine, except I couldn't send e-mail (receiving was OK). After some checking at the ZA user forums, I found I had to manually add my ISP's incoming and outgoing mailservers to a safe list in ZA in order to send mail.

Now that I've done that, everything is fine, but it seemed like a lot of effprt that shouldn't be required in order to send mail.

Has anyone heard anything about Panda's security products?