Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Error caused by faulty DVD-rom drive?

Old 09-20-05, 03:01 PM
Banned

Error caused by faulty DVD-rom drive?

OK...since X decided to up and close the other thread...

I've been having an increased # of errors in trying to copy some LEGITIMATE DVD's (not copywrighted material) where I'm getting an error: cyclic redundancy error. The dvd will play fine in the players. And now, I had my work try and copy it and it copied fine. Am I wrong in thinking that a new burner wouldn't cause these problems?

Just curious...
Old 09-20-05, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What program are you using to copy? Are they video only discs? [Let's not get into this type of software]
Old 09-20-05, 04:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mopower
What program are you using to copy? Are they video only discs? [Let's not get into this type of software]
I've tried going through windows explorer. They both fail. I've also tried to make a straight copy through Nero. Dead.

But they did it with no problem here at work.

I've also tried to rip DVD/vob files from a ROM disc and they won't work...but any other smaller type file will work. Again, it doesn't happen all the time with all discs...only some...and it's consistant.

Again, this is NOT a commercial DVD. This is a HOME MADE DVD...lest any admins with itchy trigger fingers read this.
Old 09-20-05, 04:48 PM
X
Administrator

I'm strongly considering closing a thread containing any discussion of ripping software that defeats copy protection. You can prevent that.
Old 09-20-05, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by X
I'm strongly considering closing a thread containing any discussion of ripping software that defeats copy protection. You can prevent that.

Then you may as well close it. What ripping software doesn't defeat it?
Old 09-20-05, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
I've tried going through windows explorer. They both fail. I've also tried to make a straight copy through Nero. Dead.

But they did it with no problem here at work.

I've also tried to rip DVD/vob files from a ROM disc and they won't work...but any other smaller type file will work. Again, it doesn't happen all the time with all discs...only some...and it's consistant.

Again, this is NOT a commercial DVD. This is a HOME MADE DVD...lest any admins with itchy trigger fingers read this.

You may want to try www.videohelp.com in case this thread get's closed. Again.
Old 09-20-05, 05:08 PM
X
Administrator

Then you may as well close it. What ripping software doesn't defeat it?
All sorts. Many of the programs that were designed to defeat copy protection went to solely disc copying of unprotected material after court decisions went against those types of products. Nero Recode will copy unprotected material but not protected material.
Old 09-21-05, 12:03 PM
Banned

But again...this has NOTHING TO DO WITH COPYWRIGHTED MATERIAL!

all i'm asking is if this type of error can be caused by the actual burner as opposed to the media.
And Nero doesn't defeat it.

My goodness...the problem has nothing to do with anything illegal. Aren't we being a little overzealous here? i don't always like posting to dvdrhelp because there's SO much information that sometimes little questions like this get avoided. I figured here might help me to get a quicker and more concise answer.
Old 09-21-05, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
But again...this has NOTHING TO DO WITH COPYWRIGHTED MATERIAL!

all i'm asking is if this type of error can be caused by the actual burner as opposed to the media.
And Nero doesn't defeat it.

My goodness...the problem has nothing to do with anything illegal. Aren't we being a little overzealous here? i don't always like posting to dvdrhelp because there's SO much information that sometimes little questions like this get avoided. I figured here might help me to get a quicker and more concise answer.

Easy. Put the drive in your work computer. If it fails there it's the drive if it works it's something in your computer.

That's why it sucks to try to ask any question here about burning video to DVD's or questions about DVD burners because they are so paranoid that you might use the knowledge to copy a DVD. When that particlular info could be found on google in 5 seconds. So they lock a thread when anyone talks about a program that is duel use.

Last edited by Mopower; 09-21-05 at 12:07 PM.
Old 09-21-05, 12:24 PM
X
Administrator

That's why it sucks to try to ask any question here about burning video to DVD's or questions about DVD burners because they are so paranoid that you might use the knowledge to copy a DVD. When that particlular info could be found on google in 5 seconds. So they lock a thread when anyone talks about a program that is duel use.
I already told you there are programs that aren't "dual use" that will accomplish the same thing. You were the person who originally brought up the program that is primarily used to defeat copy protection. So much so, the product has been shut down due to lawsuits against it.

Just take a look at the number of threads in here talking about burning video to DVD. It doesn't suck so bad when people keep the discussions to legal activity.

If you can't handle the way moderating is being done here you don't need to participate in the discussions.
Old 09-21-05, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by X
I already told you there are programs that aren't "dual use" that will accomplish the same thing. You were the person who originally brought up the program that is primarily used to defeat copy protecton. So much so, the product has been shut down due to lawsuits against it.

Just take a look at the number of threads in here talking about burning video to DVD. It doesn't suck so bad when people keep the discussions to legal activity.

If you can't handle the way moderating is being done here you don't need to participate in the discussions.
Alright. Sorry for trying to help.

Last edited by Mopower; 09-21-05 at 12:45 PM.
Old 09-21-05, 04:23 PM
Banned

Easy. Put the drive in your work computer. If it fails there it's the drive if it works it's something in your computer.
I wish it were that simple. The only DVD drive we have in our company is in the IT dept and i'm not really friends with them.