Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Removing An Internet Gateway?

Old 09-15-05, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Removing An Internet Gateway?

I've been having all kinds of problems getting online lately. While I think some of it is due to a cable ISP being crappy these days I also think part of it is my router dying out. Some time ago I spent an evening doing all kinds of things like rebooting, resetting and checking connections.

When I click Control Panel and then Network Connections I swear I used to only see my Local Area Connection. One night when messing with my router I ended up having a Internet Gateway connection there as well. I'm trying to get Adelphia out here to replace my ancient modem and working on getting together with D-Link to see what might be wrong with my modem but is this Network Gateway something that could be mucking things up for me? It won't allow me to delete this connection while in use and when I shut off my connection the Internet Gateway disappears from the menu.

I'd get another router but money it tight with saving up for my XBOX 360.....the whole reason I'm trying to fix this router in the first place. If anyone has any ideas I'm open for suggestions.
Old 09-16-05, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

internet gateway is probably your router. it probably isn't mucking up anything by showing up in network neighbourhood..

It shows up when you enable UPNP (in the router or the OS) i think.

again, the problem that you're having is most likely not because of this.