Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Have Just a Quick Question About Graphic Card?

Old 09-13-05, 12:06 AM

Have Just a Quick Question About Graphic Card?

I have a simple question about my GeForce 6800 16x Express graphics card. I'm kind of new to the computer gaming world and I hope I word his right.

Currently I'm playing Doom 3 (having no problems with the game by the way) and I have the ingame anti-aliasing set to 4x (using Doom 3's anti-aliasing options). With that said, when you set the anti-aliasing and antro filtering (probably not spelled right?) in the graphics card properties lets say to 2x, does that add on to the Doom 3 ingame 4x anti-aliasing to 6x?

Also if I turn off anti-aliasing within Doom 3's options but turn it on within the graphics card properties, will anti-aliasing show up in the game or do I have to turn in on within Doom 3's options to activate it?

Hope this makes sense. It's kind of a stupid question.

Last edited by poetic_power; 09-13-05 at 12:09 AM.
Old 09-13-05, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

As far as I know, I believe the settings made in the video card's display properties overrides any settings made in game.
Old 09-13-05, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Its always better to use the in game settings, rather than forcing it with the drivers. It causes fewer issues. Just go into you video card properties and set both the AA and AF to "application preference". Then in D3 or whatever game you're playing, set the AF and AA.

You should always set AF to 16x. As a general rule you can max out the AF on modern video cards with basically a nil performance hit. AA is another matter though.
Old 09-13-05, 04:31 AM

Thanks.