Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

mp3 player/flash drive problem with USB ports

Old 09-08-05, 08:22 PM

mp3 player/flash drive problem with USB ports

okay - I'll try to be brief -

I have a Sony Vaio with multi USB ports. Up until now I've never had any problems with flash drives and mp3 players plugging into these ports.

So I start my computer yesterday to put some music on and Windows says that its an unrecognized device. Out of curiosity I also put in my flash drive and Windows said the same thing - so I'm screwed.

However it will read the Sony digital camera I have in the exact same port - so the port isn't down, but it isn't communicating with my flash devices.

I've loaded new service packs, unplugged and replugged, used a different port, tried everything I can think of and nothing works. I don't understand what would get in the way of Windows recognizing these devices. I'm sure something got loaded that screwed it up, but I can't figure out what or why.

Any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated - I'm at the end of my rope and I really don't want to reload the whole damned computer!

Thanks.