Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Need help with MiniDV Camcorder PC transfer.

Old 09-02-05, 08:25 PM
Banned

Need help with MiniDV Camcorder PC transfer.

I just got a new Sony MiniDV camcorder (DCR-HC90). I've never owned one and I am a complete novice. How do I transfer the video to a PC? It came with some crappy software and all I can get is a 320x240 .avi file. I want to get full res video to my PC where I can burn it to DVDs. Do I need a capture card if it's digital?
Old 09-02-05, 09:30 PM

I just tried transferring my video from my MiniDV camcorder. It took me a while to figure out how it all worked. I ended up using a program called WinDV to capture the video from my camcorder. It took some playing with, but the video looked fine after I was done. You can transfer it to your pc using the Windows Movie Maker if you have Windows XP.
Old 09-05-05, 09:38 PM
Banned

I tried Windows Movie Maker, but the highest it will do is a 640x480 .avi which is highly compressed. Is that the limit of .avis? Also the other prog you posted wouldn't work for me.

Any other ideas?
Old 09-06-05, 06:03 AM

Unfortunately, those are the only 2 programs that I know of personally. I had some trouble with WinDV when I tried to use it the first time. I couldn't find a help file to explain all the options in the program. At first, I couldn't get it to find my camcorder even though it was attached to my computer. There is a check box beside the capture button that had to be checked for it to find my camcorder.

What kind of problems were you having with WinDV?
Old 09-06-05, 09:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by hector031
What kind of problems were you having with WinDV?
Sounds like the exact thing you just described. I'll have to give that one another shot.

I read the manual and it said the Firewire is for better quality pictures than USB. Do you think that is the problem? I thought USB 2.0 was faster? Also, is Sony's I-Link just standard IEEE1394 firewire?
Old 09-06-05, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You can not use USB to put video on your PC. You must use a IEEE 1394 firewire interface for the highest quality. If your PC does not have a firewire port then you need to buy a capture card. Your AVI files should be about 12gig for about 60 minutes of tape.

I highly recommend this software.
http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/pro...ct.asp?PID=977
Old 09-06-05, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Green Jello
Sounds like the exact thing you just described. I'll have to give that one another shot.

I read the manual and it said the Firewire is for better quality pictures than USB. Do you think that is the problem? I thought USB 2.0 was faster? Also, is Sony's I-Link just standard IEEE1394 firewire?
Firewire is actually faster then USB 2.0. Check out this link: Firewire vs USB 2.0. As far as I can tell, Sony's I-Link uses a regular IEEE1394 firewire cable.

Originally Posted by ANDREMIKE
You can not use USB to put video on your PC. You must use a IEEE 1394 firewire interface for the highest quality. If your PC does not have a firewire port then you need to buy a capture card. Your AVI files should be about 12gig for about 60 minutes of tape.

I highly recommend this software.
http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/pr...uct.asp?PID=977
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by a capture card. Are you talking about a card with video in? If so, a cheaper alternative would to get a PCI firewire card. I tried Sony Vegas, but I personally didn't like it. I tried several different editing tools (Pinnacle Studio, Sony Vegas, Avid Free DV), but ended up liking Adobe Premier Elements the best out of all of them.
Old 09-06-05, 04:54 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by hector031
As far as I can tell, Sony's I-Link uses a regular IEEE1394 firewire cable.
The Sony camera firewire cables I've seen have a mini-firewire plug, unlike standard firewire cables.
Old 09-06-05, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by X
The Sony camera firewire cables I've seen have a mini-firewire plug, unlike standard firewire cables.
True, I have a Canon MiniDV camcorder and it also uses a 4-pin firewire cable. Since I was connecting it to my laptop, I had to find a 4-pin to 4-pin cable.

Here's a pic of the Sony I-Link port:

It's exactly the same as the one on my camcorder, so you would need either a 4-pin to 4-pin, or a 4-pin to 6-pin firewire cable. I'm not so sure about the port labeled A/V Out though. I've never seen a connection like that.
Old 09-06-05, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I use firewire 4pin to 4pin on my Digi8 Camcorder (on newegg for roughly 10 dollars, well worth it), windows movie maker captured it in its uncompressed entirety (as mentioned it takes ALOT of space though, external hard drive or extra space is recommended).
Old 09-07-05, 09:59 AM
Banned

Thanks guys. I ordered a firewire cable, and hopefully that will solve everything. I'm glad it wasn't me having troubles with the software.