Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

high resolution dvd screencaps

Old 08-29-05, 12:25 PM

high resolution dvd screencaps

Hello all, I was wondering if any of you have any info that could help me out in making DVD screencaps. I'm looking to make some HQ ones (at least 1280x1024+) in resolution size. I've tried blaze DVD software to create screencaps and it seems to set the resolution at 790x540 or something like that. Is that the highest dvd screencaps resolution is set at? I was going to try PowerDVD 6.0 tonight, but wanted to get any suggestions that could help in producing high resolution screencaps. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Much thanks.
Old 08-29-05, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Without ever trying it, I'd assume that a DVD screencap could only be the maximum resolution of the DVD, unless you were doing a print-screen or something (though the quality would suffer.)

But I could be wrong about that.
Old 08-29-05, 01:22 PM
X
Administrator

I just did a screencap from PowerDVD and got a 1280x720 image (1.78 aspect ratio). You can specify how PowerDVD does its captures in its configuration.
Old 08-29-05, 02:31 PM
Banned

DVD resolution is only 720x480 anyway, so anything you see on the screen larger than that is interpolated anyway. So you might as well just take that 720 screencap and use your favorite image program to resize it to whatever you like. It'll be just as good, since that's all you're seeing on the screen in the first place, a resized 720 image.
Old 08-29-05, 03:12 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by Otto
DVD resolution is only 720x480 anyway, so anything you see on the screen larger than that is interpolated anyway. So you might as well just take that 720 screencap and use your favorite image program to resize it to whatever you like. It'll be just as good, since that's all you're seeing on the screen in the first place, a resized 720 image.
Actually, it's not just as good.

When you use your video card to scale the image and then take a shot of it you get a much better picture than when you resize the smaller screencap. Blowing up the smaller screencap results in pixelation.
Old 08-29-05, 03:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by X
Actually, it's not just as good.
Well, yes, you're right, but you got it backwards.

Originally Posted by X
When you use your video card to scale the image and then take a shot of it you get a much better picture than when you resize the smaller screencap. Blowing up the smaller screencap results in pixelation.
In point of fact, it really depends on the imaging program you use to blow up the picture. I don't mean a simple "double the pixels" type of resizing or what have you.

Any good imaging program is going to do something more than a simple linear expansion for a resize/resample. Whereas your video card is very likely going to use something that's fast instead of a higher quality, since it's having to resize the video in real time. Even Irfanview supports better resizing algorithims than any video card does. Photoshop will resize better than the best video card hardware on the planet. The reason is simple, it doesn't have to be resizing 30 frames a second.

Anyway I really recommend using software to resize your screencaps and not using your video card hardware to do it. It'll make a better image. But, you do need to use good image viewing software to do it. Windows Powertoys or MS Paint ain't what I'm talking about here.
Old 08-29-05, 04:21 PM
X
Administrator

Yes, you have to use a good editing program and not something that just blows up the picture.

My tests on this have shown very comparable results when doubling the size of a 720x480 image with a good image resizer so I suppose it depends on the quality of the video card and how good its scaling is and the software player.
Old 08-29-05, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by X
I just did a screencap from PowerDVD and got a 1280x720 image (1.78 aspect ratio). You can specify how PowerDVD does its captures in its configuration.
What setting in the configuration menu did you set that at? I've looked but couldn't find it.

So I'm assuming the screencaps I see from movies posted online that are bigger then 720x480 have been enlarged then?
Old 08-29-05, 11:35 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by yanksno1
What setting in the configuration menu did you set that at? I've looked but couldn't find it.

So I'm assuming the screencaps I see from movies posted online that are bigger then 720x480 have been enlarged then?
Probably, but not necessarily.
Some may be caps from the HD feed:

Last edited by HN; 08-29-05 at 11:37 PM.
Old 08-29-05, 11:37 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by yanksno1

Configuration->Player Setting->Advanced (button)->Snapshot
Old 08-30-05, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by HN
Gotcha. I think the HD source is the one I'm looking for (and seen the HQ screencaps in). Now if I can find a HD feed of the movie "Closer" (w Natalie Portman). Man, did she look gorgeous in that movie.

Thanks X. I'll try that tonight when I get back. Appreciate the help.
Old 08-30-05, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by HN

That kid always scared the crap out of me....
Old 11-03-05, 11:22 AM

I thought I'd try making a screencap for the first time today, and I couldn't get it to work. I'm using PowerDVD version 4.0.14.3226 (installed on my Dell). I pause the DVD, hit Alt+PrintScreen, then open a new document in Photoshop and paste it in.

Problem #1: Photoshop doesn't display the entire picture I am trying to import. It has a black field on the top and bottom of the picture (not aspect ratio bars, however, it's like it's part of the canvas) and crops out part, particularly the top. With the arrow tool, I can adjust any way and see more of the photo, but not the entire thing. It's just not there. I've tried adjusting the Photoshop document size to beyond 1024x768 by a large amount, but the picture remains only a portion of the overall screencap.

Problem #2: While fixing Problem #1 will give me the picture I want, Problem #2 is even more, er, problematic. For you see, when I try saving the picture, it saves to my harddrive simply as a black screen. It doesn't show anything of the screencap whatsoever!

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong here?
Old 11-03-05, 11:28 AM
X
Administrator

You should just use the capture functionality of PowerDVD, not your operating system's.
Old 11-03-05, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

dog: Windows cannot capture any images in the video overlay field.
Old 11-03-05, 08:08 PM

I appreciate the advice, but I'm not seeing a "capture functionality" on my version of PowerDVD. Where would it be? There is a little camera icon, yes, but it tells me it's for angle viewing, and it doesn't allow me to highlight it because there aren't other angle available for viewing.
Old 11-03-05, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You may need to disable hardware acceleration. But if it's a stripped down version of PowerDVD bundled with the OS like Dell does, it may not have the camera capability.
Old 11-03-05, 10:59 PM

I'm thinking I must have like a lite version of PowerDVD, since it came installed on my Dell. I've been Googling all about this and am coming up short. Bummer, I'd really like to make screencaps.
Old 11-03-05, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I have several versions of PowerDVD and have noticed the difference with the powerdvd software tht Dell bundled.

What version is the dell powerdvd? I bet you can purchase a powerdvd upgrade which should be like $25, for me the XP version upgrade was only about 5 mb so that should be a quick download. Otherwise, you probably could try the free trial of Powerdvd which might offer the screencap feature.

edit: ok, I think it was the patch that was 5 mb and the upgrade file was 30mbs. But I can't remember if I upgraded it from a stripped down version or just an older full featured oem version.

Last edited by Ranger; 11-03-05 at 11:20 PM.
Old 11-04-05, 06:18 AM
Suspended

You can also use Media Player Classic to take snaps, and it's a free program.
Old 11-07-05, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dogmatica
I'm thinking I must have like a lite version of PowerDVD, since it came installed on my Dell. I've been Googling all about this and am coming up short. Bummer, I'd really like to make screencaps.
On my copy at home, you can hit the letter 'c' to capture what appears on the PowerDVD screen. It will be a bitmap image and IIRC saved somewhere in your 'My Documents' folder. See if that works for you.