Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Laser toner question

Old 08-28-05, 04:29 PM

Laser toner question

I am strongly considering buying a laser toner refill kit on ebay, however I wanted some advice before the purchase.
I know this issue has been discussed in a previous thread:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ighlight=laser

However, my situation is a little different. I own a Konica Minolta laser printer and I plan on printing around 300 pages per week with the machine (Graduate School). Shopping at Staples and some other places I browsed online, replacing the cartridge will cost around $85. So, IF the refill kit seen on ebay is easy to use, then I want to do it.
Anybody have any advice or experiences with the laser toner refill kits?

Thanks
Old 08-28-05, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A guy I worked with a couple of years ago tried a refill kit and never got good results. His text was not a consistent black and his grayscale images were not uniform. Based on his results I never tried it. What I have done is buy a Staples brand toner for my HP laserjet 5L. I have run through probably 5-6 reams of paper and it has worked great.
Old 08-29-05, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The problem isn't so much the toner itself but rather those toner cartridges for small printers usually contain all the other things involved in imaging such as the photo-sensitve drum, charge and discharge coronas, and cleaners. Sometimes even the LED printhead itself. All of those things wear wit every single print, especially the drum. So just replacing the toner is not going to help with quality. If you are onyl doing text it may be ok though.
Old 11-04-05, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I bought a cheap Brother ML-1740 laser printer. The cartridge that cam with it was only good for 200 or so sheets.

The $10 toner kits are more attractive than the $49 remanufactured cartridge which is still better than the $80 OEM from staples.

What should I do?

I could always buy another printer for $60ish and sell this one (w/out cartridge) on ebay.