Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

iPod question (iTunes/iPod song management)

Old 08-21-05, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

iPod question (iTunes/iPod song management)

I have a few little dillemmas.

1) I have a few songs that I want on iTunes but not my iPod (at least not all the time). Is there a way I can sorta "red flag" these songs from being imported on the iPod so that I dont have to manually import all other songs added afterward that I want automatically imported?

2) How do I take songs off of my iPod without removing those songs from iTunes?

3)How do I keep songs on my iPod that arent on iTunes. Is there a way of putting those songs that are only on the iPod into iTunes?
Old 08-21-05, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by gmal2003
I have a few little dillemmas.

1) I have a few songs that I want on iTunes but not my iPod (at least not all the time). Is there a way I can sorta "red flag" these songs from being imported on the iPod so that I dont have to manually import all other songs added afterward that I want automatically imported?
Uncheck them and then in the iPod settings (the settings in iTunes) set it to only sync songs that are checked.

Same as above. Uncheck them and change your settings to have it only import checked items. iTunes will remove the ones you uncheck, but they will stay in iTunes.

3)How do I keep songs on my iPod that arent on iTunes. Is there a way of putting those songs that are only on the iPod into iTunes?
That is tricky. You will have to import them to iTunes, sync them to your iPod and then delete them from iTunes. I believe they will stay on the iPod, but will not be transfered back to iTunes. I think it works this way, but test it with one song first as I have never tried it.

You can also get songs on and off of you iPod using a freeware program called ephpod http://www.ephpod.com/ on a Windows machine. This might give you the extra options you want and you can use it along with iTunes.

Last edited by darkside; 08-21-05 at 09:44 PM.
Old 08-22-05, 08:39 AM
Banned

Several ways. You can either set iTunes to sync only checked songs and then uncheck the ones you don't want, or you can set iTunes to only sync certain playlists and then simply exclude those songs from those playlists.

Same as above, then uncheck them or remove them from the iPod synced playlists.

You put the iPod into full manual mode and then manually control everything on the iPod. There is no other way to do this using iTunes.
Old 08-22-05, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanx darkside and Otto .
Old 08-22-05, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Otto
You put the iPod into full manual mode and then manually control everything on the iPod. There is no other way to do this using iTunes.
Forgot about that option. That is the only way to get it to work correctly with iTunes.

Its been awhile since I used iTunes and my previous players were 10GB and 15GB so I had to do a lot of managing of music to only get on there the stuff I definitely wanted to listen to. Now that I have a 60Gb player its anything goes and I just throw it all on there. Even the stuff I may not be in the mood for until months later.