Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Celeron M vs Centrino

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Celeron M vs Centrino

Old 08-09-05, 01:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Celeron M vs Centrino

I'm looking for a new laptop and aside from the price tag, what is the big deal with Centrino notebooks? They run about twice as much as a similar spec'd Celeron M notebook.

I currently have a regular Celeron (non "M") 2.0Ghz notebook, but I'm finding that the battery life is dismal at best and its only 2 years old. I can't seem to finish watching a single 90-minute movie unplugged...

I'm not a power user, so I really don't see the justification for a $1400 Centrino notebook and I have a LinkSys Wireless-G card, but if a Celeron M notebook won't give me more than 120 minutes of battery life, then I guess I have to re-evaluate my options.
Old 08-09-05, 06:11 PM

Centrino, from what I know, has wirelss built in, and is on par with P4 processors, the celeron is not. Hence the price difference.

check out bens bargains or fat wallet for cheap dell systems. on the last dell deal I got a 700m for 698 bucks, not bad, and that was the price shipped.
Old 08-09-05, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"Centrino" is just a branding thing that Intel does when a notebook manufacturer uses both a Pentium M CPU and an Intel wi-fi mini-pci card. The real value in that combo is the Pentium M CPU so look for that rather than the "Centrino" label.

The Celeron M is based on the Pentium M but IIRC, it has half the L2 cache and does not have all the power savings features that the Pentium M has. So a Celeron M notebook will be a bit slower and will have a somewhat shorter battery life.

I've watched full length DVD movies with power to spare on Pentium M notebooks, but I've never used a Celeron M notebook so I can't say if they'd work as well.