Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone remove the stock cooler on a 6600GT card!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 08-03-05, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually very knowledgeable when it comes to PCs and building them. However, I've never done this. My brother has a PCIe MSI NX6600GT. We would like to remove the stock cooler and replace it with a Zalman VF700Alcu VGA cooler.

How do you remove the stock cooler on this card without damaging it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-03-05, 11:35 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Generally you put the card in the freezer for a while to make the adhesive brittle and slip a credit card over the chip before you use a screwdriver to pry off the heatsink.

Overclocking forums would have the exact details.
Old 08-03-05, 11:38 PM

Thanks X! I'll look around. Didn't want to risk damaging a new card.
Old 08-04-05, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

is the heatsink attached to the card with a set of pushpins? usually the heatsink itself has two mounts that line up with holes on the video card itself. these are typically made of plastic. these pushpins should have nipples on the end that expand after they pass through the hole on the card. to remove the HS/HSF assembly, squeeze the ends of these pushpins gently with a pair of nonmagnetic needle nose pliers. when they are brought together, you can generally push them through the card. when these pushpins are released, the heatsink should lift away from the card. at this point, clean the (most likely) poorly applied thermal paste off the GPU with a q-tip and some rubbing alcohol. apply some arctic silver 5 and your new HS/HSF. you should be able to use the same pushpins.

rambling post, but i hope clear.
Old 08-04-05, 08:11 AM

Thanks for the info kms! I've read about pushpins. I'll look the card over and make sure I'm ready before even attempting to do this.
Old 08-04-05, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the pushpins are just two plastic nubbins protruding from the backside of the card. it is not difficult to remove them. just be careful not to damage the traces on the backside of the card.