Reload this Page >

Bluetooth devices?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Bluetooth devices?

Old 07-27-05, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bluetooth devices?

I just got a bluetooth adapter for my laptop so I could do transfers to my new cellphone. What other cool devices are out there for bluetooth? I'll probably get a mouse soon too, but I don't see much other stuff like that.
Old 07-27-05, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Mouse, keyboard, printer, cell phone, possibly digital cameras (although none I think exist).
Old 07-27-05, 03:57 PM
Stealth Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got the Microsoft Elite Desktop for Bluetooth (kb & mouse). Works great. I can use it from 6 feet away, and it's still perfect. Of course, I can barely read what it says on the monitor, but it's great for using it as a remote for watching movies or listening to music.

My Palm Treo 650 connects to the computer also, via bluetooth. Easy wireless HotSync.
Old 07-27-05, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ooh, digital camera would be cool.

If I get another Bluetooth adapter for my desktop, will my cell phone work on that computer as well without having to change BT settings on the phone/laptop etc? (sorry, I'm a Bluetooth noob)
Old 07-30-05, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by namja
I got the Microsoft Elite Desktop for Bluetooth (kb & mouse). Works great. I can use it from 6 feet away, and it's still perfect.
Agreed. I tested the range one time and I think it was close to 20 feet. Pretty cool for wireless.

Originally Posted by ianholm
If I get another Bluetooth adapter for my desktop, will my cell phone work on that computer as well without having to change BT settings on the phone/laptop etc? (sorry, I'm a Bluetooth noob)
Unfortunately, I think they will have to change since the BT device has to go through autentication to connect to a system. The authentication changes with each pc.
Old 07-31-05, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have an adaptor for my PC and my phone and PDA both support it. Of course I had nothing but nightmares getting it to work correctly with the phone, but I finally got it working most of the time. It definitely isn't as easy to set up or reliable as I thought. Sometimes my phone connects to my PC and sometimes I have to restart the PC to get it to connect. Sometimes it takes several restarts for it to finally work or I will just reinstall all the software again and again. Sometimes my PDA will hotsync correctly with it, but sometimes the software installed for the Nokia phone conflicts with it.

I have no idea if the problem is with the Belkin Bluetooth adaptor, Windows XP or just the fact I don't know what I'm doing. I have no trouble connecting the phone and PDA, but of course that is worthless as well because TMobile doesn't allow me to use my phone as a modem with the $4.99 internet plan and I'm too cheap to pay more.

After my experiences I definitely have no future interest in ever getting another BT device.
Old 07-31-05, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Did you upgrade to service pack 2 for Windows XP? Prior to SP2, Bluetooth support was abysmal.
Old 07-31-05, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brain Stew
Did you upgrade to service pack 2 for Windows XP? Prior to SP2, Bluetooth support was abysmal.
No this is SP1. I'm going to format and reinstall my OS in a couple of weeks and will upgrade to SP2 and reinstall everything then. That might be the problem.
Old 07-31-05, 05:01 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

gps device
Old 08-01-05, 08:14 AM

Print from a non networkable usb printer via bluetooth:

http://www.buy.com/prod/Belkin_Bluet.../10360620.html
Old 08-09-05, 05:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If you've got a Sony/Ericsson phone (i've got a T637), download PC Control. It turns your cell phone into a mouse/remote control. Keymaps can be modified for different apps.
Old 10-02-05, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by RaMMaR
If you've got a Sony/Ericsson phone (i've got a T637), download PC Control. It turns your cell phone into a mouse/remote control. Keymaps can be modified for different apps.
Anything similar to this if you don't have a Sony/Ericsson phone? I'm looking for a remote control (preferably Bluetooth) that will be able to control my music on my PC (i.e. Play, Stop, Pause, Forward, etc.).
Old 10-05-05, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by FrozenMetalHead
Anything similar to this if you don't have a Sony/Ericsson phone? I'm looking for a remote control (preferably Bluetooth) that will be able to control my music on my PC (i.e. Play, Stop, Pause, Forward, etc.).
There's Bluetooth Remote Control v.1 - shareware, full version $9.95. i found PC Control via an S/E phone forum, there may be a link to equivalent freeware available for your phone on a similar forum.