Reload this Page >

getting site info to show in google

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 07-26-05, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've designed a flash site and in the header tags of the html doc holding the flash movie, I have info filled in:
<meta name="description" content="Interior Architectural Design and Custom Furniture Construction">

Now, google has the site indexed, but that 'description' doesn't show up under the listing for the site. What gives?
Old 07-26-05, 05:26 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

google's descriptions under the search results come from text within the body of the html that include the search terms. It won't be able to read the Flash.
(my suggestion is creating a text based page in conjunction with the main Flash based one)
Old 07-26-05, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by HN
google's descriptions under the search results come from text within the body of the html that include the search terms. It won't be able to read the Flash.
(my suggestion is creating a text based page in conjunction with the main Flash based one)
Ahh, I copy and pasted my header information, but I see it didn't show up. I have 'description' and 'keywords' meta tages included on the index.htm file that hosts my flash.

So just doing that won't give google the info, it has to be a text based html page within the index.html page that's already there?
Old 07-26-05, 07:09 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by monkeyboy
Ahh, I copy and pasted my header information, but I see it didn't show up. I have 'description' and 'keywords' meta tages included on the index.htm file that hosts my flash.

So just doing that won't give google the info, it has to be a text based html page within the index.html page that's already there?
correct. whatever page that eventually gets crawled, it will pull the relevant text from the body (if available); does not necessarily have to be the index.html page.

2 other methods that i've seen implemented to work around the Flash issue is:
-a text index page that automatically redirects to the Flash page

-putting the Flash in a frame where the size of the frame takes up the whole window. with this you'd have [noframes] code which contained your relevant text.

I wouldn't know how to code this stuff myself, i just found them and handed it off to more qualified people.

(also, using these workarounds, you'd want to make the text page functional, not just loaded with keywords. better for endusers who do happen to get those pages and pagerank algorithms won't dock you. sometimes you can get away with it but i can't take that ride.)
Old 07-27-05, 02:56 PM

Thanks HN. So when google crawls a site, it crawls every file in that initial directory on the server? For instance, I use catalog.com for all my hosting and post my index.html and .swf files in the 'public html' folder. Is google looking at every file in that folder? Could I just create a html text page that has a bunch of keywords and a description of the site, etc and have it sitting there in the folder, never actually seen by someone going to the site?

I guess that wouldn't be much different than just having an html page that redirects you to the real index page. I've actually done that before, for different reasons. I didn't like it because it wasn't a seemless transition, I think there was a flash as the browser was redirected and it just looked weird, like there was something wrong with the site.
Old 07-27-05, 05:56 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It can crawl an html page with just text but that page either has to be submitted manually or be linked to from some other page or site.

the problem with pages only containing keywords is that they won't necessarily be ranked high and may be even given a negative rank. These types of pages are also usually not linked to by other sites. Google uses this as part of their ranking (the idea being the if a lot of pages are linking to you, you must have something of interest).

if somehow the page does end up getting ranked/listed and a user clicks on the search result, he'll be taken to the page which will look like a bunch of text that tricked him into clicking.

best bet would be static page with relevant content but also containing keywords. include them in H tags [h1] [h2]... if possible.

most of what i've spewed so far is pretty watered down. for more indepth reading check here first http://www.bruceclay.com/web_rank.htm . (scroll down to Step 6 "How to add your keywords to the content" if you don't want to read the other stuff)
Old 07-27-05, 07:06 PM

Nice, thanks for your input.