-Refurbished Soyo SY-KT880 Dragon 2 motherboard bought at Newegg;
-AMD Athlon 2000+ processor w/ cooler master heatsink/fan
-Radeon 9600 Pro Graphics Card
-Maxtor 160g hard drive
-PNY 512MB Memory 2 sticks
-TigerPro 420W max Power Supply
-Toshiba DVD Writer
-Windows XP home edition w/ service pack OS bought in Best Buy

Everything went well, and I installed the operating system. When it was done, the system rebooted. When the boot reached the Windows XP welcome page, the computer just shut down. Well, not entirely a shut down, since power is still provided, as the fans are still working and the Power LED is still on. I thought this was just a fluke, so I re-installed windows. The same thing happened. I tried with my copy of XP Professional. Still the same.

So I thought, this must be a hardware compatibility problem. So I did the following:

1. Use just one stick of memory and tested the different slots;
2. Emptied the PCI slots, and just used the AGP for the graphics card;
3. Disconnected the firewire and USB wires from the case;
4. Changed the DVD writer with an OEM CD writer;

Still the problem persist. I know it is not the overheat protection of the mobo shutting down, because it would have shut down everything, and would have shutdown while I was installing Windows. I know it is not the graphics card, because it is working. I know it is not the hard drive, becasue I was able to install Windows. I know it is not the motherboard, because it would have failed at the start.

I am running out of ideas. Please help. Thanks.

Joachim
Old 07-24-05, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe its the refurbished MB. Maybe go to the bios and load defaults. If it happens again I would say its probably the MB but I'am no expert. You might try putting in the graphics card again and make sure it in all they way. Not sure what you mean by "the computer just shut down" Blank screen? Graphics on the screen but locked up?
Old 07-24-05, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by ernestrp
Maybe its the refurbished MB. Maybe go to the bios and load defaults. If it happens again I would say its probably the MB but I'am no expert. You might try putting in the graphics card again and make sure it in all they way. Not sure what you mean by "the computer just shut down" Blank screen? Graphics on the screen but locked up?

The screen went blank - the monitor is not receiving any signal, thus it went into sleep mode.

Thanks for your reply.
Old 07-25-05, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

does it do the same thing if you just let it sit in bios? or in dos if you have a boot cd of some sort?
Old 07-25-05, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by crankyman
does it do the same thing if you just let it sit in bios? or in dos if you have a boot cd of some sort?
If it is in bios, it does not shut down. Only when it boots and reaches the welcome page of Windows, then it shuts down. Unfortuanately, I do not have a boot CD, only the Windows CD I installed.

Thanks.
Old 07-25-05, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode?
If yes, and it still "hangs" on the Welcome Screen, then do a "Repair Install"

The retail Windows XP CD's are bootable. You will need to set your first boot device in your BIOS to the CD ROM Drive. Save and Exit the BIOS.

Reboot. There should be a message at the bottom of the monitor screen (in black & white) that says something to the effect "press any key" to boot from the CD-ROM. Press any key and do a Repair Install. Make sure you have your Windows XP CD Key available.

Do not have any unnessary devices hooked up to the computer until Windows is completely installed. Only Mouse, Keyboard, video card and the CD-ROm, of course. Sometimes Windows doesn't like devices installed when installing the OS.
Old 07-25-05, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by 68ShelbyGT500KR
Have you tried booting into Safe Mode?
If yes, and it still "hangs" on the Welcome Screen, then do a "Repair Install"

The retail Windows XP CD's are bootable. You will need to set your first boot device in your BIOS to the CD ROM Drive. Save and Exit the BIOS.

Reboot. There should be a message at the bottom of the monitor screen (in black & white) that says something to the effect "press any key" to boot from the CD-ROM. Press any key and do a Repair Install. Make sure you have your Windows XP CD Key available.

Do not have any unnessary devices hooked up to the computer until Windows is completely installed. Only Mouse, Keyboard, video card and the CD-ROm, of course. Sometimes Windows doesn't like devices installed when installing the OS.

I did that. Repaired Windows, disconnected everything, including the USB and Firewire connection from the computer case. I just have the graphics card, mouse, keyboard, a CD Drive and one hard drive. But still when it boots, it hangs in the Windows welcome page and dies.

Thanks.
Old 07-25-05, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Windows XP Stops Responding at the Welcome Screen
Maybe it is a power management feature in the BIOS

When it stops at the Welcome Screen, can you do a CTL ALT DEL? (You may have to do it 2 times in XP Home.)

If it will allow you to log in as a different user, then go to:
The Control Panel, click User Accounts
then click “Change the way users log on or off.”
Uncheck the box that says “Use the Welcome screen.”
Old 07-26-05, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by 68ShelbyGT500KR
Windows XP Stops Responding at the Welcome Screen
Maybe it is a power management feature in the BIOS

When it stops at the Welcome Screen, can you do a CTL ALT DEL? (You may have to do it 2 times in XP Home.)

If it will allow you to log in as a different user, then go to:
The Control Panel, click User Accounts
then click “Change the way users log on or off.”
Uncheck the box that says “Use the Welcome screen.”
I can not do a CTL ALT DEL as the computer just shuts down. All I see is a black screen.

Anyway, I decided just to return the MOBO. I realized there is a limit to what we can do. Sometimes, quitting is not surrendering. As they say, he who fights and rans away, will leave to fight another day.

Thanks everyone.