Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Rolling back from XP to 2000... easy way to do it??

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 04-19-05, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently have win xp home installed on my comp.. I've had it about 2 months or so and am not super happy with it. Ever since I switched to it from 2000, my comp just lags...

I decided that I want to go back to 2000.. The problem is I have my comp set up the way I want it, with settings the way I look them... Is there an "easy" way to roll back?

Pretty standard setup.. windows and applications on the c drive
Old 04-19-05, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
I currently have win xp home installed on my comp.. I've had it about 2 months or so and am not super happy with it. Ever since I switched to it from 2000, my comp just lags...

I decided that I want to go back to 2000.. The problem is I have my comp set up the way I want it, with settings the way I look them... Is there an "easy" way to roll back?

Pretty standard setup.. windows and applications on the c drive
Is there an removal of XP in the Add/Remove Programs Applet in the Control Panel? I think there should be IF it was an upgrade install of XP, but I am not positive.
Old 04-19-05, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by 68ShelbyGT500KR
Is there an removal of XP in the Add/Remove Programs Applet in the Control Panel? I think there should be IF it was an upgrade install of XP, but I am not positive.

sorry i should've been more clear.. I had 2000. Wiped it and did a clean install of XP...
Old 04-19-05, 09:01 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
So you want to "upgrade" to Win2k.

I'd say just try it. But the garbage making XP slow will probably make 2k slow. You really should start over. You'll be happier after the pain of the setup subsides.
Old 04-19-05, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I agree with X . You won't be able to keep the existing app's that you have installed currently on XP.

How to uninstall Windows XP and revert to a previous operating system

In The "applies to" section, it essentially says that you have to start over from scratch.

My Xp runs fine, but I am not running XP's default "luna" theme (Eye Candy) and I have disabled un-needed "services". Both are RAM hogs (IMO). I am also using about 75% of my Hard drive space, partitioned into C and D.
Old 04-19-05, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

XP is only about 2%-5% more resource hog than 2000 once you meet a min spec.

What are your machine specs?

I am betting you can 'fix' the XP slowness easier than you can go back to 2000

1. are you spyware free? (run spybot S&D and AdAware, etc,etc)

2. turn off the bullshit eyecandy in XP

right click on your desktop, choose properties. under themes, choose windows classic

go to start - settings - control panel - system - advanced - click settings under performance - click on adjust for best performance

3. You should also disable any services you don't need, this is a bit harder to figure out depending on what you do and may take a little time and experimentation on your part.

With info found here

http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

You should be able to figure out what you use and what you don't. For example, if you don't have a wireless network, you can disable the wireless zero configuration service. Things that are that simple.

4. delete temp files
5. defrag your hard drive
6. check your startup folder and run registry key to see if you have any programs loading that you don't need

See if that helps.
Old 04-20-05, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

4K had a good question. Why do you want to roll back to 2000? You might actually be better off with a clean install of XP/SP2 rather than 2K.
Old 04-20-05, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Bus
4K had a good question. Why do you want to roll back to 2000? You might actually be better off with a clean install of XP/SP2 rather than 2K.

i did a clean install of XP/sp2 and it still seems slower than 2000
Old 04-20-05, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
i did a clean install of XP/sp2 and it still seems slower than 2000

Tweak it based on my above post and then see if it is really slower.
Old 04-20-05, 10:12 PM

Is there an option to disable stupid pop-ups like "You have unused items on your desktop" or automatic updates, or other annoyances like these?

I hate the way XP needs to "take me by the hand", as if I can't manage the system on my own...

Last edited by Playitagainsam; 04-20-05 at 10:22 PM.
Old 04-21-05, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i got a new comp at work a month ago and did the upgrade from xp sp2 to w2k. with the same apps installed it uses like 150MB RAM less than xp.

make sure you burn all the drivers to CD or DVD and then wipe and install w2k. XP SP2 is nice, but you need like 1GB of RAM to run it.
Old 04-21-05, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Playitagainsam
Is there an option to disable stupid pop-ups like "You have unused items on your desktop" or automatic updates, or other annoyances like these?

I hate the way XP needs to "take me by the hand", as if I can't manage the system on my own...
Automatic Updates can be disabled by going to Control Panel>Automatic Updates.

Unused Desktop Items popup can be removed by going to Control Panel>Display>Desktop>Customize Desktop and removing the checkbox in Desktop Cleanup

If you want to get rid of a lot of these little things this site is excellent if you don't mind you're registry getting tweaked:

Kelly's Corner